General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

What size bars??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 AM
Seeves1982
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size bars??

Just pulled my stock inner fairing to put a painted on. Always wanted a little more raise on my bars and figured I'd be really upset with myself if I didn't put bars on at this time as well. Bars aren't really an item you can demo. I really like the feel of like a heritage type raise. I would like to go up, but do not want to go above the fairing cause that look just isn't my flavor. Does anyone know what size bars would bring me below the fairing? Next two questions are for installation. I know I have to measure for the cables, but for the electrical... Do they just make a lengthened harness or is there enough excess stuffed under the tank or would I have to actually splice and rewire? Also when putting the bars on with the inner fairing removed how to I make sure that they're at the right angle so that they won't rub the painted inner? If it's just a trial and error thing any suggestions on how to make it simpler than completely installing and removing the inner each time I would need to adjust?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 AM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I once installed some 10" Khrome Werks handlebars that utilized all of the original wires and cables. These kept my hands behind the fairing.
For adjustment, install them with the bars pulled way back. Put the fairing back together but leave the switch-plate off. Once the fairing is in place you can still see/reach the two rear handlebar mount bolts. You can the loosen these two bolts and adjust the bars to the desired position. Tighten the two bolts back up, install switch-plate and ignition switch and you're done.