General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

let my crossbones get waaay hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:27 AM
longshot23
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default let my crossbones get waaay hot

Like a idiot I left my bike idling and went inside to get something and got a phone call while inside and lost track of the time. When I went back out it was smoking from under tank top of engine area. I fried my throttle and idle cables. I've since replaced them and rode around town a few times and the interstate working my way up to longer rides. Just before I let it overheat I put new exhaust on. Besides smoking it was hissing but I couldn't determine where from. I thought something must cracked or something but their are no leaks to be found anywhere and the bike runs very strong. Now to the point. At a steady riding speed in town or highway I keep hearing this noise that has the same tone as a gremlin bell vibrating around. If I back off for a instant it stops then when I get back on throttle it starts again. It does not make the sound at idle, just when I'm at a steady cruising speed. The exhaust has removable baffles and I thought it might be the empty screw hole whistling but I put baffles back in and it still makes this sound. I went on a hundred and a half mile ride the other day and the only problem is that ringing around sound. I can't tell where it is coming from since it is only while riding that I hear it. Could there be damage from the overheating? Where would the hissing noise been coming from when it was overheated? That was the only time it was hissing. And when I replaced my exhaust I didn't replace exhaust gaskets as the manufacture seemed to indicate the old ones could still be used. Anyway the sound is like I said before Like a gremlin bell rattling around. Any suggestions that might helpful would be appreciated.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,823 Likes on 3,499 Posts

Just ride it,

Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,577 Posts

i would at least change the oil