General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Bright Ass Light BAL-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Nelmar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright *** Light BAL-1

Yesterday, August 10, 2014, I installed BAL-1 on my HD Heritage Classic. There are other reviews about this light, so mine is simply more info on this accessory. First, the light is an electronic marvel- it works and works effectively. The installation is quite simple, as other members have indicated. You simply disconnect OEM tail light and install BAL-1. And, yes, I did have to trim the gasket. Actually, it takes longer to learn patterns and modes than anything else. I'm still trying to differentiate Parade Mode from Brake/Tap mode. Personally, Patterns/Modes descriptions should be described with more specifics. Overall, its' a safety investment that commensurates in value to a $18K Heritage Classic. It's just a worthy defense mechanism.

Beware of installation by dealership. I went to a Harley dealership in Bedford and the counter guy quoted me two hours labor to install. I had already done my install research, familiarized myself with OEM tail light removal, and knew that BAL-1 was plug/play--the quote was ridiculously over-price. Although I didn't buy my bike at Mavericks Harley, I drove all the way across town to buy it. Counter guy (Donald) went overboard in explaining the install process, answered all my questions, and made me feel like a valued customer. Yes, dealerships have to make a profit, but sometimes dealer quotes are out of the ordinary. A High five to Donald and Maverick's Harley in Carrollton, TX.

As for the light, it's on my bike working perfectly. If you're going to add an accessory, BAL-1 is a must. It will definitely check your six.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 PM
G9803
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the good review. I'm not overly familiar with these, but what's the difference between buying a $200 rear light vs a LED bulb to go into your stock setup? Pardon my ignorance just curious, though I see this has some different mode, thanks.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Nelmar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the difference between a BAL-1 and a LED set-up? The BAL-1 is a super bright LED tail light and you can set the LEDs to flicker, modulate, or strobe. You set your intensity and/or mode by simply tapping lens with a provided magnet. These lights have earned the Bright *** light name is no lie--and, are used by many police departments. They're so strong you need to wear sunglasses when you're adjusting it. I've had flashing LED tail lights on previous bikes but BAL-1 by far is the brightest. I hope I helped.