General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Tools for the bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 PM
EdrikLT
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools for the bike

So its time to get bike tools, problem is i hate torques and allen wrenches,lol i was wondering anyone buy a decent set of torques and allen keys somewhere like home depot or sears? Maybe harbor freight?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:29 AM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EdrikLT
So its time to get bike tools, problem is i hate torques and allen wrenches,lol i was wondering anyone buy a decent set of torques and allen keys somewhere like home depot or sears? Maybe harbor freight?
If you are going to be doing much work on your bike you will need a set of both torx and allen sockets. About the only allen key I ever use is a ball end key for the transmission fill/dip stick. And a t-handle allen is really handy for doing clutch adjustments. You might as well just buy socket sets as the individual pieces get expensive quick. Screw driver bit sets usually include allen and tox bits that you can put in a 1/4 inch socket for the smaller sizes. As far as where to buy it is really easy just to use Amazon.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,295 Likes on 6,039 Posts

I would not buy torx and allen from Harbor Freight, Autozone, Murrays, etc.... these tools are ok, but they will fail. I would buy Craftsman as your "lowest" level of socket sets for these. I would buy the sockets and make sure you have decent ratchets and extensions. I would also build your set up....and I highly recommend you buy the best you can get....SnapOn, MAC, Stanley are a couple that I have (but then i used to be a mechanic) These are expensive, but then 40 years from now you will still have and use them!!! and a factory service manual is probably one of the best tools you can get!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Got to disagree , had really good luck with harbor freight torx bits no complaints with the allen either, and the composite ratchets they sell have become my favorite ratchets. as far as wrenches, pliers, and extensions , not so happy with them. Whatever set you wind up with make sure it has a t27 torx bit, a lot of sets skip that one and you will need it for a Harley.
also I have found the multi screwdriver with the torx bits that Harley Shops sell is a very handy tool to have with me on the bike.+

add a set of 1/4 drive sockets, probably a set of 3/8 drive , a couple larger wrenches for axel nuts etc and you will be in pretty good shape for most maintenance on a bike.
Not slamming any of the tool truck brands, but unless your wrenching professionally , or at least using them a lot , you can get very good performance from less expensive brands.

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 06-20-2014 at 06:18 PM.