General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Oil pressure light

Heya,

I recently started my 96 fxdwg up for the first time after it had been sitting for over a year (rebuilt trans at a slow pace).

Anyhoo...after I started it up, the oil pressure idiot light stays on. After doing some searching, here and Google, I bought a new oil pressure switch and gauge.

I changed out the pressure switch (light still on). So, I checked to see if the switch wire was grounded (the ohms reading was around .009), so I figured that was ok. I tried to take off the lifter screen screw, so I could get a gauge on it, but it doesn't want to budge. Any ideas on how to remove a boogered up lifter screen screw?

I also cleaned out the lifter screen and verified that there is the correct amount of oil in the tank. I have not changed the filter yet, as I only have a few hundred miles on it.

I also replaced oil lines in the process of my trans rebuild and I am fairly certain I have them on correctly. However, if someone can kindly verify by looking at my pics, I'd appreciate it. Pic hd091 goes to the underside of oil tank. Pic hd087 shows routing from the tank and tank vent, to the pump.

I'm also wondering, cause my bike sat for over a year, could the oil that was in the oil pump seeped out and does the pump need to be re-primed?

Forgot to mention that I am running Mobil 1 15w50 full synthetic. I've been using this oil for at least 5 years with no problems.

And comments/advice is appreciated and welcome.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure light-hd-087.jpg   Oil pressure light-hd-091.jpg  

Last edited by prplglide; 05-24-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 PM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Update. I was backtracking flow and I started at the filter housing. I removed the feed line and unscrewed the housing from the block.
Lo and behold this fell on the garage floor from somewhere. I don't know if it was in the housing, the line or I just got lucky and it was from somewhere else (what are the odds on that?).

To me, it looks like a chunk from an engine case. Man, I just wanna ride this damn thing! Not wrench it all summer!

Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure light-metal-299.jpg