General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

One front brake rotor gets hotter then the other?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question One front brake rotor gets hotter then the other?

I just replaced the old OEM front brake lines on my bike with a new set of braided steel Galfer lines. I bled the hell out of the lines through both left and right calipers and the brake lever has a good strong pull.

But after I took the bike out for a drive, I noticed that the rotor on the left side (left side while I'm seated that is), gets twice as hot as the one on the right side. It seems that the left side is doing most of the work and I'd like to know what I can do to remedy this situation.

Neither brake caliper is dragging or rubbing against rotor while riding, I rode for 15 minutes without touching the front brake lever and then felt both rotors and both were totally cool to the touch.

I've tried bleeding the right brake caliper a few times and even bled the left caliper again but no difference in getting the right side to grab more. I'm not seeing any air bubbles coming out from the brake calipers.

Is there something else that I should do? I'm all out of ideas here.

I had a leaky front fork tube last year, one of the seals started to fail and there was oil that got on the rotor, I'm not 100% sure since my memory isn't all that great but it might have been this one on the right hand side, I think that it was.

I did spray some brake cleaner on the rotors and they look clean. Is it possible that that oil could have soaked into the pad material and is not allowing the calipers to grab? Wouldn't that oil burn off eventually?

Last edited by Burstbucker; 05-19-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 AM
hogpipes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dirty piston on that cal is dragging, 1 st try pull the pads pump the lever easy to move piston out enough to clean with shoe lace /brake cleaner. push back in & out a couple time see that it's free moving . 1 pump on lever watching the piston it should move out and drop back alittle when lever is released.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey, thanks for that tip! Makes a lot of sense. I will give that a try.