General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Foggy or dusty headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:45 AM
PhilG57
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foggy or dusty headlight?

I have a 2000 Road King Classic. When I look at the headlight with the low bean on, the top half of the headlight seems to be foggy or dusty inside the glass. When the high beam is turned on, the whole headlight appears dusty.

Is this normal or is it time to replace the headlight? Thanks.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:19 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It is normal have that dusty look if it is dusty inside....and it almost assuredly does have dust inside. Take the headlight out, remove the bulb and maybe even the bulb mount...that will open up a big hole through which you can dust it. Big cotton ball on a wooden BBQ skewer etc, you can freestyle this. The dust comes out easily and as completely as your attention to detail permits. There are actually long videos on this very procedure, but almost quicker to just go do it.

Remember to reassemble

Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Wink

Not normal - time to replace the reflector! In another recent post a member commented on how he tried to clean his reflector, which had the same problem - and made it worst!

I had a BMW bike many years ago which had a small sidelight bulb set in the same reflector. It had a ceramic bulb holder that dusted the reflector. I asked around and got the same reply that I pass on - for what it's worth!

Any auto spares shop should be able to supply a 7" reflector, however it is a good time to consider an upgrade to benefit from modern technology, so call in the Touring section, where you will find several recent posts about Trucklite etc.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess I should have been more specific in my comment above.

I was referring to cleaning dust from the lens, since lens looking dusty is an indication it is dusty. Never occurred to me to try to clean reflector. It is not only possible, it is normal, for dust to enter and cling to the back side of the lens over time. Dusting the lens will eliminate the dusty appearance, it is easy and safe to do...well, not easy to figure out how HD engineered the offset, twist on retainer ring on some models. My fix is free, and no trip to the store.

If you have it apart why not consider a PIAA bulb to get a lot more light at the same time? A bit pricey, but then again what else will give you so much for under $50 on a Harley? Bulb life is said by some to be shorter but my experience with it is otherwise and would it be a good trade off anyway

Old 05-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Sanyasi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put mine in the dishwasher-----worked great and then polished the reflector inside with my eyeglass cleaning solution and cloth.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Fairshake
Cruiser

I have a 2004 RK Police model and it has had this same problem. If your problem is like mine, it is not dust but a light grey or smoke looking stain on the lens. I used several cleaning products on mine, only to see it return. I read an article not long ago that this was caused by the bulb that was used in the light. I have always used a beefed up bulb in my bike headlights as I live in a rural area and need the extra light at night. I almost quit riding at night because of this lens problem. I purchased new top quality lens and installed a 100W/55w bulbs. Well, it took little time for my new lens to also become smoked over. I just purchased the light and bulb off a 2012 HD to see if that will work better. If you buy a lens from an automotive store, it will be made to send it's light down the road for a car and not a motorcycle. Buy a lens that is made for a motorcycle. Best of luck

Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 PM
dad4
Advanced

Just clean it.