General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Half Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM
mike1979
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half Helmets

Please pardon the new rider question...

I usually like to wear a half helmet but I can't stand the way the airflow lifts on the helmet and pulls the chin strap at highway speeds. Below is the half helmet I currently have, will a helmet with a visor help? Any suggestions?

Old 03-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Stageman
Intermediate

I have the AK88 Half Helmet. LOVE IT! DOT approved and slim low profile. It has a plastic ratcheting clicking adjustable clasp. (Lack of better terms cause i don't know what the clasp is called) It works awesome. I too hated the lift at highway speeds. I bought this helmet and love the clasp. If it is a little loose, just click it one more time and Voila!!!!! Problem solved! There is a good youTube video on it. Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,295 Likes on 2,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Stageman
I have the AK88 Half Helmet. LOVE IT! DOT approved and slim low profile. It has a plastic ratcheting clicking adjustable clasp. (Lack of better terms cause i don't know what the clasp is called) It works awesome. I too hated the lift at highway speeds. I bought this helmet and love the clasp. If it is a little loose, just click it one more time and Voila!!!!! Problem solved! There is a good youTube video on it. Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Fairshake
Cruiser

The helmet you have shown is not what is called a half helmet. The helmet shown is called a beanie or outlaw helmet. They are not made to give you any real protection at all. I had a very close friend who was wearing this style helmet when he T-Boned a left hander. It flew off his head at the first impact and he ended up with severe brain damage. He no longer remembers his wife or family. The helmet that is worn by the Police and myself is the real half helmet. It has very thick padding. I'm not the hemet Police and I believe that riders should be able to choose what they wear or don't wear. As a former cop and seeing and being in several accidents I choose to wear a real safe helmet. Take Care and Good riding Fairshake

Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
HarleyQC
Cruiser

Worse with a visor, i removed mine.