General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Good affordable Tool brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 AM
-Grumpy-
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Good affordable Tool brand?

What brand tools are good for working with motorcycles on a regular basis that are somewhat affordable? If I could afford them I would opt for Snap-on or Matco, but I can't..

I've heard a lot from auto mechanics that Craftsman's sockets and wrenches are too thick for working on motorcycles.
I've heard ups and downs on all of them- Kobalt, Husky, Craftsman, Stanley, Crescent, etc. For those that work on bikes regularly what brand(s) are you happy with?

Just looking for a complete socket/wrench set (Metric & SAE). Also for some good beam torque wrenches.

Last edited by -Grumpy-; 01-03-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:42 AM
95hdtlk
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have lots of Snap on sockets and wrenches. Being an automotive mechanic for years,it was easy to buy tools as needed because the Snapon truck would come weekly and let you pay as you go if you had to. Sears Craftsman tools are very affordable to most everyone. The big difference in the wrenches is that the Craftsman wrenches are twice a this as a Snapon wrench. So far I can't see where that's a problem working on bikes. The sockets appear to be the same. Sears even has a lot of specialty wrenches if needed.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Never had any problems w/my Craftsman tools working on bikes for many years. Also use cheap/Harbor Freight purchased tools too...

Unless you're a master m/c mech, almost anything will do. Just use the right tool for the job and you're OK. No need to invest a ton of ca$h - decent set @ Sears, Lowe's, or Home Depot will work for most riders who occasionally wrench.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:00 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,802 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Never had any problems w/my Craftsman tools working on bikes for many years. Also use cheap/Harbor Freight purchased tools too...

Unless you're a master m/c mech, almost anything will do. Just use the right tool for the job and you're OK. No need to invest a ton of ca$h - decent set @ Sears, Lowe's, or Home Depot will work for most riders who occasionally wrench.
I have mostly Craftsman, with some stuff from both Lowe's and Home Depot sprinkled in.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 PM
-Grumpy-
Intermediate

May head to Sears and check out the Craftsman sets then.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by -Grumpy-; 01-04-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:35 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

I have Stanley Torx and allen sockets in SAE and metric, also Stanley combo wrenches and metric sockets. I have had them for 12 years and no tool failures and they have a good feel and value price. They are avail at many box stores.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:07 AM
nhhdrider
Advanced

I agree. Craftsman work well and a good value. All of the brands wear and break at some point and craftsman are nice and easy to warranty.

I also like buying used Snapon tools from the matco or Cornwall dealer... just ask what he got as trade-in and then you can warranty with the Snapon dealer to get like new again... or vise- versa matco from Snapon guy.

And for deals on craftsman tools... at car show swap meet there is usually that guy with buckets and buckets of rejects... maybe the chrome may be just not quite right. Watch out for 12 point sockets mixed in.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Gibbsey
Advanced

I've haven't had a problem with my Craftsman tools on my old Jap bike or the Sportster. Like someone else said they have a good warranty, not that I've had to use it. I do have a set of old Snap On metric wrenches and they are nice.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:42 AM
Trickasabrick
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have worked on my bikes with Craftsman stuff my whole life without any problem.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,293 Likes on 2,898 Posts

I'm an average homeowner, ie non professional wrench.
I use Craftsman exclusively and have never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Good affordable Tool brand?