General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Counter Steering on a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 04:06 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Counter Steering on a Harley?

Ok, After reading this post I was like Hmmmm and I went and tired it. Yep it works. Just a slight push on one side of the bar is all it takes to start the bike into a turn. I will say that from what I've read they say leaning doesnt help much or the bike is Slow to responed to a lean. Since I ride a Sportster I would have to disagree with this just a tad. my 1200R seems to respond almost Instantly to a lean when I try it.

My biggest worry about this counter steering thing is in a Panic Situation it would be Real Easy to Push the bar to far ( Kind of like Slamming the brakes ) and down you would go. I think taking an Advanced motorcycle saftey course looks better and better and is in my future. Very interesting topic though.

L8tr

LV

Old 01-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,822 Likes on 801 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

howartthou,

Not quite as dramatic as you make it seem I don't know that I ever "throw" the bike in any direction while riding...pressures is all it takes. While leaning hard right, I simply pulled a little on the right handlegrip and the bike started to go left...

If it were anything other than comfie for the wife, I would still be hearing about it and I would have needed to sleep with one eye open!

Here is another really good article on countersteering...if you're a geek like me and like physics...you'll like the article...you've been warned!

Countersteering Page

If you like that page, this is the link to his home page. There is a huge amount of info from this guy. He also has a donate page if you want to help him out. I gave him $10, a small amount in my mind for an AWESOME page. (I have no affiliation with him at all).

Motorcycle Group Page

I'm short on time, as I'm actually headed out the door for Hawaii for three weeks in a few hours, but I will get back to you once I get settled in there.

Ride safe, brother, I'm glad you got through your test, now all you need is the bike!

Mac

P.S.
And here's one more from one of the rags.
Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine
Thanks for the articles. Interesting stuff! I never really gave much thought to counter-steering. Needless to say, I will be practicing it when I get my Hog! The ability to intuitively do a hard zig zag around an unexpected obstacle would be an invaluable asset!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-08-2005, 06:48 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

Ok, After reading this post I was like Hmmmm and I went and tired it. Yep it works. Just a slight push on one side of the bar is all it takes to start the bike into a turn. I will say that from what I've read they say leaning doesnt help much or the bike is Slow to responed to a lean. Since I ride a Sportster I would have to disagree with this just a tad. my 1200R seems to respond almost Instantly to a lean when I try it.

My biggest worry about this counter steering thing is in a Panic Situation it would be Real Easy to Push the bar to far ( Kind of like Slamming the brakes ) and down you would go. I think taking an Advanced motorcycle saftey course looks better and better and is in my future. Very interesting topic though.

L8tr

LV
Sushi, Japan, diving, bomb shell, Pearl Habour, museum pieces...oh yes, countersteering that was it! [&o].

LV
From what I have read when you lean you are countersteering, unconciously i.e. the only way to turn a bike at speed is to countersteer. When you lean you are pushing the steering opposite to the lean without realising it.

Its certainly alot harder to do when you do it conciously as it is all about feel and practice so an advanced course is a great idea and I will join you on that one.

You must check out the "NO BS BIKE" at this URL http://www.superbikeschool.com/machi...bs-machine.php. Look for the video icon near the top left of the page to see the no bs bike in action....it proves you have to countersteer in order to turn whether you know it or not...and yes it doesnt take much of a push and pull....

Old 01-08-2005, 09:54 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 477 Posts

I will say that from what I've read they say leaning doesnt help much or the bike is Slow to responed to a lean. Since I ride a Sportster I would have to disagree with this just a tad. my 1200R seems to respond almost Instantly to a lean when I try it.
What is actually happening when you lean is you are countersteering without realizing it. Try this: Find a straight road with no trffic. Get to speed, take your hands off the bars, and try to lean the bike. What happens?

Old 01-08-2005, 02:50 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj
What is actually happening when you lean is you are countersteering without realizing it. Try this: Find a straight road with no trffic. Get to speed, take your hands off the bars, and try to lean the bike. What happens?

It's physics, and the small amount of force your body is putting into making the lean is not enough to overcome the gyroscopic effect from the forces of the bike moving at whatever speed...at about 20 mph and higher, you ain't gonna make much difference.

Go try it...you'll be amazed.

Mac

Old 01-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only as a practiced manuever in advanced riding course. Target Site Vision....look where you want to go, I ride 5-10mph over traffic flow and pick my line

Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 AM
Pirate
Road Master

I gotta say this is a great thread. First the discussion and great links, then the sushi to boot!

Seriously I can see the concept. I was trying it out last weekend, kind of got it, but those articles really put it into a good perspective
for me.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:22 PM
LordVngr
Cruiser

[ Try this: Find a straight road with no trffic. Get to speed, take your hands off the bars, and try to lean the bike. What happens?

hahahahahahaha
Uh No. what happens is I'd probably
fall on my ***.....

LV

Just Kidding, I understand.......

Old 01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[ Try this: Find a straight road with no trffic. Get to speed, take your hands off the bars, and try to lean the bike. What happens?

hahahahahahaha
fall on my ***.....

LV

If you're lucky...

You'd more likely fall on yer head. Then there'd be some trouble.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:27 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 477 Posts

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

[ Try this: Find a straight road with no traffic. Get to speed, take your hands off the bars, and try to lean the bike. What happens?

hahahahahahaha
fall on my ***.....

LV

If you're lucky...

You'd more likely fall on yer head. Then there'd be some trouble.
Youse guys are nuts, LOL!

Actually what would happen is the bike would start a very slow turn and it would feel like it was "fighting" your attempts to make it lean and turn.

Quick Reply: Counter Steering on a Harley?