General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Exact Positioning Of Tour-Pak Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012 | 10:46 AM
SCHOONER
|
Tourer
Question Exact Positioning Of Tour-Pak Rack

Hi Guys

Need you help on installing my new chrome Tour-Pak Luggage Rack on my 1985 FLHTC.

How do I mark the hole to be drilled on my tour-pak in order to install my luggage rack EXACTLY without damaging my tour-pak by Not Positioning The Hole Exactly where they need to be

Do I use tape to mark the spot to drill, but where do I start from

2 attachments (1) of my tour-pak (2) the new chrome luggage rack.
HELP GUYS ME

Attached Thumbnails Exact Positioning Of Tour-Pak Rack-tour-pak.jpg   Exact Positioning Of Tour-Pak Rack-no.1-luggage-rack.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012 | 11:25 AM
tombeving
Road Master

Take a piece of heavy construction paper and cut it so it fits perfectly on your tour-pak lid. set it aside for the moment. Next cut two long strips about 1/2 inch wide. Turn the rack up-side down so the holes where the rack mounts to the tour-pak are exposed.Tape one strip from the upper left post to the lower right post and the other strip from the upper right to the lower left post. This will form an X and where the two strips cross is the exact mid-point of your rack. Glue the two strips together where they meetand make a hole where the strips meet. Take a small nail and poke a hole where the screws go into the posts. Remove the X from the rack and set it aside. Now find the mid-point of your tour-pak lid template and make a mark at dead center. Place the hole of your X over the hole of your lid template. Measure down from your lid template on both sides and when your X is the same distance from the top edge of your lid template, glue it onto the template. Place the template onto your tour-pak and mark the holes on your tour-pak with a marker. The rack should be perfectly centered. Before you start drilling place the rack on the tour-pak and check. You may have to move all 4 holes back to get your rack to fit on the lid.