General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

H-D Diamondback Cables -- Special Care or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H-D Diamondback Cables -- Special Care or Not

Now have a complete set of H-D Diamondback cables on my '04 Softail Standard - clutch, front/rear brake, throttle/idle. The cables compliment very well the Brilliant Silver of the bike. I added the billet clutch clip on the down tube, brake line clip on the upper clamp, and throttle/idle clip, to make a complete package. I'll post pictures soon.

But in the meantime, for those of you who already have these cables, what special care do they need to keep them their pearly white?

I was told at the dealer NOT to use any cable lube with graphite in it. Lubes suggested to date are WD40, PetroChem Cable Lube, Rem Oil, and Gunk Lube w/ teflon (and to use a cable luber). So what else is needed?

BTW -- I was also told not to keep the clutch adjuster on the cable as water and dirt collect under it and can eventaully discolor the cable outer sleeve near the sleeve. The throttle/idle cables don't have adjuster cover at all.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.