General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

If hogs could fly,,,,,,,,

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If hogs could fly,,,,,,,,

http://www.hog-air.com/hogindex.htm

If hogs could fly.... ,, Well now you have your chance. What about an HD powered airplane? The hell with the chopper, lets strap some wings on that big CI for some real speed.[8D]

Old 12-26-2004, 11:26 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: If hogs could fly,,,,,,,,

Just read about a guy puttin' new Evo motors onto planes. He's doing pretty good, yoo.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:34 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

As a pilot, I have to tell you, that adds a whole new meaning to "engine failure"!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Mac

Old 12-27-2004, 08:19 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Actually, the reliability is one of the selling points.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh? [sm=smiley30.gif]

Old 12-27-2004, 11:34 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Actually, the reliability is one of the selling points.

Let me share a quick story with you...

I'll say this first to put it all into the proper perspective...an engine failure in flight is a little different than an engine failure on Terra Firma! []

At work, I fly a Helicopter with 3 engines, all turbines. You lose one, [&:] it sucks, but not the end of the world, you lose two ...well, that's not good at all. You lose three [>:], well, you're in it for the ride, sitting in a beveled brick, heading back to Terra Firma. Then you usually need a [sm=icon_guiness.gif] Turbines are great engines, not a lot of fooling around with them...sucks air in, compresses it, dumps in fuel, blows it out the back...SUCK AND BLOW as we like to say.

I have a private pilots liscence (sp?) and I go flying from time to time in small fixed wing aircraft with single engines. The are all carberated types. They also come with a heater for the carb. When you get up to altitude, any water that may be in the fuel can freeze and block fuel from getting to the carb...it happens, and it tends to restrict fuel from entering the engine...[sm=smiley19.gif]

I'm up flying one day and this stupid motor starts coughing and sputtering. Not good. I'm fiddling with the choke, the carb heater, the whole bit. It didn't quit on me (thank all that is Holy!) and I returned safely. Scared me a little bit though. (Ok a lot).

Now, this bike I have now is FI...enough with the carbs for me...I'm all about technology. I think back to my little scare at 8000 ft with that carb engine, I think back to my first bike, I think about the sputtering it did when I was trying to get the mixture just right...I bought FI.

You get the idea. Now I realize that it's different, but you can see how I draw a parallel between the two!

Ride safe,

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Mac

P.S. That being said, I do think the whole thing is pretty cool!

Old 12-27-2004, 12:10 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'll wait until it's a proven success over and over again before I'll be flying... I did enough parachute testing to know that it's better to know it works than to hope it does.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:25 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The predator (unmanned spy planes) used by the US and other NATO countries use a modified Moto Guzzi engine. I'm sure someone has used a Harley in an airplane.
The "Curtis" in Curtis-Wright was a motorcycle racer before he designed engines for aircraft.