General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Engine shut down while riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
larkman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shut down while riding

when going to work and the outside temp is below 30 deg. and I'm about 6 miles from home my 2007 electraglides motor will just shut off. the lights stay on it's as if the engine kill switch was pushed. I turn the ign. switch off then on and it starts up and i don't have any problems the rest of the way to work or coming home. The dealer had it for 3 weeks with no luck then they told me to replace the sytem relay which had no effect. I bought it new and installed vance & hines tru dual pipes with stock mufflers and a cobra fi2000 module. The bike ran great until this year it has 35000 miles. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
gomiller2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem with my road king I would ride maybe 5 miles the bike would just die like you hit the kill switch I would let it sit for a while starts back up goes again for a while when it died I pulled a spark plug was getting no spark so I new it wasnt fuel the crank position sensor was going out put in a new sensor no problems since.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM
strikerdeuce
Stage IV

Originally Posted by larkman
when going to work and the outside temp is below 30 deg. and I'm about 6 miles from home my 2007 electraglides motor will just shut off. the lights stay on it's as if the engine kill switch was pushed. I turn the ign. switch off then on and it starts up and i don't have any problems the rest of the way to work or coming home. The dealer had it for 3 weeks with no luck then they told me to replace the sytem relay which had no effect. I bought it new and installed vance & hines tru dual pipes with stock mufflers and a cobra fi2000 module. The bike ran great until this year it has 35000 miles. Any ideas? Thanks.
Wondering if you figured this out. I have an 04 Deuce with a similar problem. It'll just shut off while going down the road. It only ever happens in the mornings during fall/winter/spring when the temp is cool... I'd say mid 50's or cooler. It always happens between 5-10 miles into my 20 mile ride to work.

Last fall, the dealer changed some fuel line/check valve in tank that was leaking.. the bike runs much better now (was getting a little sputter here and there) since then, I haven't ridden the bike much to work... at least not in cool temps. Last Friday, it was in the mid 50's and sure enough, it died, not once but twice. After that, it was fine the rest of the way. This time, about 20 seconds before it died the first time, it actually bucked pretty good...that's never really happened before.

I've read a lot of posts where people talk about bad switches, and loose wires. I can't help but think if those were the issues, it would happen when it's warm outside too. The bike runs flawlessly in warm/hot weather.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:13 PM
razor-arrow
Stage IV
Default help

Anyone figure this out exact same problems here.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Stageman
Intermediate

Oddly enough, My 97 Fatboy has the same issue. I haven't had it in warmer temps yet. Just got it about a month ago. My issue is just at random times, It'll just shut off. I feel like it is a spark issue because if it were fuel, it should have fuel symptoms. After it cuts off, ill cost to side of the road, it turns over fine (cranks but no start) but doesn't hit at all. Wait 3-5 min or so, BAM, fires right up like never had an issue and run fine......Puzzling....Im thinking Coil, Relay (dunno if it has one), CPS, engine module. I have no idea but really fill like its a spark issue.......Id love to see, read, hear more input.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
250starbuck
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 1996 FLHTCUI that would do the same thing. It would just quite with no warning, wait a few seconds and it would start again. What it turned out to be was the check valve in the fuel tank vent line. Took it out an the problem went away. Might help.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:24 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My Dyna did the exact same thing, I found pinched wires from the factory in the Throttle housing, and if you have a factory security system it wil activate shutting down the engine. Your turn signals is tied into the security system, it sends a signal back to the system, activating it.