General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Inner tube pin cushion!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Grog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inner tube pin cushion!

Well I tried to change my first tire by hand today got the old tire off and put the new tire and tube on but in the process turned a perfectly good tube into junk.

So as I wait for the new tube to arrive at my doorstep I thought I would ask for some good tips on changing tires the do's and don'ts if you will.

Also as I was surfing through the forum I saw the Dyna Beads can these be used in tube tires?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Grog
Cruiser

Amazing a DIY and no one here has changed a tire!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Dyna beads work well in tube and tubeless tires. As far as installing a tube in a tire on a wheel it is best to see it or have someone show you. It is a task I have done several times and know the techniques, but would not be able to properly "tell" you how to do it.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep run the beads in my tubed tires

Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Grog
Cruiser

So Checkers feeling like a Road Trip? Plenty of Beer and a Camper outside to crash in!

This is what I did , Lubbed the tire beads with Dawn dish Det. Slipped the one side on the rim inserted the tube on the loose side of the tire fixed the valve stem, partailly inflated the tube in an atempt to keep it out of the way. Worked the tires second side on the rim I did hear the tube when I pinched and popped it.

I'm thinking i need a second person to help hold the iron I have in the tire so I can watch where I put the next tire iron.

Was I close to the right method?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Grog
Cruiser

Well the new tube came in today. put the new tube into the rim and decided not to put any air into the tube this time. did a lot more muscle and a lot less tire iron. no pinched tube = a very happy tube!

now to find a supplier for the Dyna Beads!

Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

If you just inflated the tube after you put it in, I'd suggest letting the air out again, rotate the wheel while squeezing the sides together in several places, put just a little air in, more rotation and squeezing, and then fully inflate. What I do, before putting the wheel back on, is hold it upright and bounce it (not too hard) on the ground while rotating it. You'd think tubes would just inflate properly once in there, but they can still have wrinkles or air trapped between the tube and tire; a few miles down the road, tire seems low on pressure, and I've heard of tubes popping, too, from a wrinkle that split. The valve stem should be straight, too; that's a good indication the tube wasn't in quite right if the stem has an angle to it.

And make sure the tube interior and dyna beads are dry; any moisture or lube, and they can clump together. Gets kind of physical changing tires, but I've done a bunch, a little care and it's not that complicated. And larger motorcycle tires are easier than that 12" scooter tire next to my grandson in the sig picture. Not much flex in those little things.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Good soft edge spoons are great. It can be done with screw drivers but you stand a chance of poping a tube and scratching a rim.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Grog
Cruiser

Well Imold I didn't use your method exactly but it came close.
I left the valve stem loose until after every thing was inflated to insure that it stayed straight. Before I inflated the inner tube I checked the rim tire and tube to make sure the tube was in place all the way around. The tire has been inflated to the right pressure for 4 days. I'm still trying to get the Dyna Beads, the advertised local dealer isn't answering his phone. With all this good weather I can't wait to get back on the road. Its still suposed to be winter!