General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

frustrated newbie w/fatboy that won't run

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 PM
djaaron
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustrated newbie w/fatboy that won't run

hi all, i finally stopped talking about it and went out and bought me an '02 fatboy this april. long story short, i've put only 1200 miles on it and had it towed for the 2nd time last night (thankfully i payed the 7 bucks extra for towing coverage on my insurance). if anyone wants to read, i'd appreciate any insight...

here's the details of my bike: http://www.bryanjd.com/harley.htm i've since changed the pipes to ness stackers and changed the air cleaner to a screaming eagle. she is carbeurated.

long story long: 1st time she was towed, my local (and trustworthy) mechanic said it was carbon buildup on my plugs. so i thought, ok, i need to be more careful with my choke (my only prior experience was with fuel injected bikes). that was after about 800 miles. last night, the same thing happened. i rode out to the mall, no problem. when i go to leave, i let her warm up for about 30 seconds, i go to pull away and she quits, and will not fire after that. i've got more than half a tank of fuel, and this is the same way it happened before, so i'm thinking it's the plugs again. i took the plugs out today and sure enough one is covered in black soot. so i run down to the shop, pick up two new sets (i've now learned to carry a spare set). i replace them, but no dice. still won't fire.

any issues i should be aware of with the engine work that has been done to this bike?

i'm new to working on engines, but pretty handy and willing to try some trouble shooting if anyone has any ideas. i'd hate to trade her in, but for 17 grand i want a reliable bike...

any help will be greatly appreciated,
bryan in florida

Old 12-21-2006, 08:35 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 474 Posts
Default RE: frustrated newbie w/fatboy that won't run

Are you getting spark?

Old 12-23-2006, 10:47 AM
redman53
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as pococj mentioned you need spark to fire up...actually you need 3 things..air, fuel, and spark,,,if your breathing most likely you got air...check the spark and fuel...make sure your getting both into the cylinders, then work backwards from there....

Old 12-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G'day, welcome to the HDForums from New Zealand, enjoy!!!! [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 12-23-2006, 09:53 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

MY .02 is that single fire ignition you have. Been some problems with them for a while (intermittent firing). Have you checked your coils and plug wires being you said that the plug was carboned up? When it gets to the point of not firing up, check for spart at the plugs then.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would sure guess the same thing. There is a reason that the spark plugs are fouling on you.
[align=left] [/align]