General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

oil cooler & oil temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:20 AM
lenny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler & oil temp gauge

Purchased and had both installed by the dealer where I bought my 07 Ultra. Wanted to take advantage of the warrantee coverage that the MoCo offers on HD products that get purchased and installed in the first 60 days after bike was delivered. With the 07 running hotter I felt that the cooler was a good purchase and getting rid of the ambient temp gauge replacing with oil temp is a no brainer. As the story goes the gauge sending unit is mounted into the return line (MoCo recommended) and as I read and understand the cooler is thermostat controlled (185 degrees). The gauge sits at approx. 110 while riding and never moves. When I got to the house I could feel that the cooler is warm and when I squeeze the return line between my fingers during throttle up I can feel the oil flowing as well as the increase in oil pressure. Still no oil temp at the fairing mounted gauge. I have inserted the LED gauge from my 02 Ultra into the oil fill and found that the temp in the crankcase is approx 210, The service manager at the dealership says that The MoCo techs developed the mounting location of the sending unit as the best place to get an acurate raeding of the oil temp. I'm thinking that while riding down the rode and after reaching normal operating temp the thermostat opens and allows oil flow thru the cooler. If this happens as designed by the MoCo I now know with certainty two things, the thermostat opened allowing the cooler to do its job and because I have oil flowing by the sending unit I can tell what my oil temp is. PROBLEM IS THAT THE DEALER CAN NOT GET IT TO WORK AS DESIGNED. ONLY WORKS IN THE CRANKCASE MOUNTED LOCATION.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:49 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil cooler & oil temp gauge

I thought the 07 TC's don't have exposed oil lines - maybe I'm wrong. But, exactly where did they tie into the oil line? I have the HD oil temp gauge on my 05 Ultra, but did not want the hassle of installing in the retrun line - so installed in the extra oil pan hole. Seems to work just fine. My guess is that the oil pan oil temp takes a little longer to come up to temp, but, I'm looking at the temp for a long ride.

My readings are about 180 during winter months here in NC (40's outside). In summer, have seen it go up to 230. I ordered the oil cooler few weeks ago.

Seems to me that you need to take the bike back to the dealer and tell them to make it read properly.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 AM
lenny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil cooler & oil temp gauge

They do not have exposed lines other than the ones coming out of the new oil filter mount to and from the cooler. I had the new cooler installed.