General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

throttle and idle cables PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM
piercings4_u
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry throttle and idle cables PLEASE HELP!!

hello friends! ok i have a problem. i installed 10 inch mini apes on my 1999 1200s. everything has went great until now. i ordered new throttle and idle cables in the measurements of 35 inches for both of them. i went to put them on and could barely get the cables hooked to the grip. they seemed too short so i read somewhere that i could carefully cut the housing that surrounds the cable to give it more slack. so i did that. but i think i cut too much off of them so now i can not adjust the cables at all. there is way too much slack now and when i turn the adjusters they run out of threads and the cables are not tight enough. so now i have ordered a new throttle cable and i was thinking that i could still use the idle cable that i cut and use the new cable i ordered and that would make up the difference. can anyone confirm this for me? please help me out here. this is the only thing keeping me from riding. thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM
motorcycletom
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wondering if you have the stock carb on your bike. If so the free length of your inner cables is 5 1/8" for the throttle and 5 1/4" for the idle. If you ordered cables for a Big Twin Bike the free length would be too short. Stock Big Twin cables are about 5" for the throttle and 4 3/4" for the idle.

So if your idle free length is around 5 1/4" and your are running the stock carb, you just need to make sure the throttle cable doesn't get longer than 5 1/8". If the idle is longer than 5 1/4" you can make some of it up with the throttle cable. As long as the carb opens all the way up and closes smoothly without sticking it wont be a problem. I got my info from the Magnum Shielding website, where I purchased cable before. Good Luck!!!