General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Two post car hoist to lift a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
sunsetdriver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two post car hoist to lift a bike?

I have a car hoist and have been thinking of making some special attachments for the hoist so that I can lift an motorcycle. I would use the arms of the Hoist, but one set of arms doesn't reach far enough inward to get under the bike.

Has anyone done this?

I was thinking of sliding two "C Channels" under the bike and attaching them to the hoist pads. That way I can lift the bike at the frame and have both wheels off the ground. I should be able to do any work comfortably that I need to with the bike up in the air.

I also need to come up with a wheel chock system that will keep the bike standing straight up and down (it makes it easier to lift with the hoist when they are standing straight up and down). The wheel chock system has to be adjustable so that I can fit any size front tire in it.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 PM
sunsetdriver
Advanced

I would also be using tie downs to hold the bike stable while it was in the air.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Duke16
Stage IV

Have you came up with anything as I am looking to do the same

Duke

Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 PM
B_rent
Stage III

I know this an old thread, but I would like to share a very strong, easy and secure method for lifting my cruiser. I have the deck secured to the hoist with two 3/4" black pipe t-bars that thread into a floor flange that is bolted to the bottom side of the plywood deck. These t-bars keep the arms from moving or sliding around and keeps the deck from moving around. I used 2x4's on the outside edges. I also used 2x4's to brace the small space in the middle of the deck where the lift arms do not reach far enough in to meet in the middle. For the deck I used 3/4" plywood that is 3' wide. I also use two small detached wooden ramps on either side that stay on the ground when the bike is being lifted. This allows the bike frame to sit on the plywood deck while being lifted and allowing work to be done on the tires. I also us tie-downs just for safety sake. I can also slide the bike between the two poles. I use the center stand and a wheel chock to stabilize the bike alone with tie downs when I am doing engine work. I have been using this setup for a very long time and have never had an issue.Two post car hoist to lift a bike?-bike2.jpg

Two post car hoist to lift a bike?-bike1.jpg

Two post car hoist to lift a bike?-sideways.jpg