General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

High mileage trips, and bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High mileage trips, and bikes.

Whats the most miles you or someone you know has put on a motorcycle? I was watching TV the other night and a guy that test products claimed to have a million miles on a older dyna. He claimed it was bullet proof. Secondly whats the longest road trip you have been on. Myself, Ive logged around 4200 miles, on my last two road trips. Vegas the first time and Sturgis(then over to Yellowstone) the second time. I live in AL. The craziest thing was on the trip home from sturgis, my wife and I had stopped in Denver for the night, and the next day Little Rock was the destination. I knew it would be a hard drive, but knew I could do it if my wife was up for the task. Well, I didnt ever stop in Little Rock, we kept going until we hit Winfield, AL (were my in-laws live), that was 24hrs and 1300miles later. Talk about an iron butt run!

Old 12-10-2004, 01:17 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High mileage trips, and bikes.

Have yet to put any serious miles on the bike yet or go on a long, long cruise...but I'll be sure to let ya know when I get there.

Old 12-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sincecrazy, that's one crazy run. Your *** must have hurt for a week! I haven't done anything near that... yet...

Ryan

Old 12-10-2004, 05:17 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have me beat,
The longest ride i was on was when a hurricane was expected to brush by VA comming fron Fla. We didnt cancil the trip to Pa. We hit maybe an hour of rain and we left at night. My raingear ripped ( it was cheap ) and it was about 55 degress that night. I had about a five hour long trip that was damp and cold. The trip was well worth it. The mountain roads up there are great. You just have to watchout for deer.

David

Old 12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
yahmon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sincecrazy,
This year we took a ride from St. Louis to Nashville,met up with freinds from Ruston La., took the Natces Trace to Jackson, Miss. then on to Ruston, La., then up to Hot Springs Ark, Back to Rusron, then back to St. Louis. Trip was 2 up, and loaded down. Do it again in a heartbeat! I wasnt a million miles, but a lot of fun for 3 days and lots of riding.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:40 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Longest trip I ever did was on an old Shadow I had, we left Quantico, VA, rode to Norfolk, then across the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge to Ocean City Maryland. We set out thinking we would catch a ferry, only to find out it was closed and had to go all the way to Norfolk. This total ride was about 8 hours. The bike had no mods and it hurt a little bit. But I will say, I loved it, and later took my next bike from Jacksonville, NC to Macon, GA. Rode through rain, cold, hot, you name it!

Lots of smiles though.

Ride on!

Mac

Old 12-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Markcuda
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 108,000 miles on my 2003 Ultra.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:19 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice...hope those were all "good" miles. Welcome to the bb by the way.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:31 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey pilot1996,
How long was you in quantico. That is only about 10 minutes away from where i live. On of my favorite places to ride is the other side of base. Route 601, 612 etc. Those back roads are alot better than riding around dale city that i live in. That area is one of the few areas left close to home where there is very light traffic and long winding roads. In the spring i plan on taking a trip down route 3 to route twenty to route 33 and hit the blue ridge parkway and at least ride down to front royal and maybe farther. Should be a good day trip on a nice spring day. What do you think?

David

Old 12-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Markcuda

I have 108,000 miles on my 2003 Ultra.
Thumbs up to this guy!!!!!!!!!!! How did you find the time, or is it retirement?

Quick Reply: High mileage trips, and bikes.