General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Tips for Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 PM
tankplunkett
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that most of you live up north, but down here in southeast Texas, I just ride through the winter. Its kinda nice not getting below 40 degree's very often!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Does anyone shut off the petcock and run the motor until all the gas has run out of the carb and the bike stalls?

I've done this with all of my yard equipment. Gas has a tendency to gum up things when it sets for long periods, especially in cold weather.
Never have myself. Like I said, I add Seafoam to a tank and run most of that tank out getting the treated gas up into the carb. Then I always fill it back up with the appropriate amount of Seafoam to protect that tank of gas. Some years back I had an old 750 Kaw which sat in my shed for 11 years. Back then there were no 'sprays' for the cylinders, but Bardahl used to make a lube to go in your gas called 'Upper Cylinder' iirc. Before parking the Kaw I added that to the gas and ran it down to damned near empty, then added another can to the little bit of gas left, then ran it all out til the bike quit. I also pulled the plugs and shot some oil in each cylinder and turned in over a few times by hand putting the plugs back on when I was done. Of course I never thought it would be 11 yrs sitting, but when I pulled it out, r& r'd the tires, battery, oil and filter, plugs and filled it with gas, it started back up and ran great.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
flhpi06
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tankplunkett
I notice that most of you live up north, but down here in southeast Texas, I just ride through the winter. Its kinda nice not getting below 40 degree's very often!
I hope you get a sunburn in January too!!! Thanks for rubbing it it.