General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Tips for Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM
mikebehr00
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

What is fogging?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically its just an oil in a aerosol spray can that you spray inside engine components. The mist of oil keeps internals from rusting.

Engine Fogging Oil (FOG)
Offers superior film retention, providing long-term protection against corrosion and dry starts, extending engine life and reducing operating expenses. Its aerosol spray formulation offers easy and clean applications, while reaching more components and offering better distribution than straight motor oil.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fog.aspx

Old 10-28-2010, 02:45 PM
dutcharoo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fogging

What do you mean when you say to fog the tank and pipes

Old 10-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See the post above yours.

I spray fogging oil in the muffs, gas tank and some will spray it into the intake of a running engine until it stalls. The aerosol spray of oil creates a mist of oil on internal parts to help prevent rust and corrosion. I don't spray it in the intake but do give the fuel a heavy dose of stabilizer and let in run through.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just winterized my boat yesterday, which included fogging the engine. I spray fogging oil in the intake until it stalls or pull the coil wire if it needs some help. Then, I spray a bit more down the intake, pull the plugs, spray a bit in the plug holes, and then turn the engine over a time or two to move the oil around a bit. The boats engine is 25 years old and has never given me a minutes worth of trouble....If my bike were laid up more than a couple of months, I'd fog it the same way.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I have been storing classic cars and bikes along with many other motorized things for 40 some years in climates falling into the double digits below zero F, and have never had a problem with anything inside the motor's seizing or rusting up and have never fogged any of them. I store them all in unheated buildings. Not saying fogging will hurt anything, but imho its a waste of time and money unless the storage facility has an extreme swing between being dry humidity wise, and then getting dripping wet damp or something close. Then I might be worried. I use a battery maintainer(trickle charger), Seafoam in the gas (I make sure to put in the gas before putting it up so it gets a full measure into the carb, usually the tankfill prior to putting it up), change the oil and filter, wash and wax the ol girl, take off the bags, seat and shield (store them in the heated house), cover it. Seems to work for me.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 PM
14/88trucker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing

All great info, Thank you guys much!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just fogged the engine for the first time ever. It is easy to do, but remember to cover the plug holes with a rag before turning over the engine. Trust me.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone shut off the petcock and run the motor until all the gas has run out of the carb and the bike stalls?

I've done this with all of my yard equipment. Gas has a tendency to gum up things when it sets for long periods, especially in cold weather.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Great ideas. Thanks

Quick Reply: Tips for Winter Storage