General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

A good and honest wrench in Detroit 'burbs..

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006 | 08:35 PM
Hackd
|
Elite HDF Member
Default A good and honest wrench in Detroit 'burbs..

Anyone know of a good independent wrench in the western Wayne county area (Michigan)? Someone that knows how to work on an EVO? Someone that will treat you with a bit of respect? Someone that'll listen to your input and not give you a 'What the f#@k do you know' look? Or argue with you about something that you know you're right about? Maybe someone that can make a house call? Or has a trailer that can pick up a bike?

I'm fed up with the last two places I went to. Dropped $2500 at the last shop...Got a couple extra horses and lost a few ft/lbs of torque.....Now all of a sudden, the bike won't stay running, unless I keep the enrichener out or rev the motor to keep the rpms up....This has been a real disaster this year which began the second week of June and is still going on. Other than the bad connection between the regulator and stator (which I had to fix), I took a decent running-although oil leaking bike to the last shop just to see if they could tackle the leaking rocker box problem. It unfortunately died in their parking lot (due to the stator/regulator plug), so I opted to have them fix the problems. Which involved another top end rebuild (the last shop screwed that up 3000 miles prior).

My bike has been tied up for the entire summer. They had it for seven weeks the first time, five days the second time, and two days the final time. The bike was running fine...For about 100 miles. Now I have a non-running bike that leaks from the clutch cable (which I asked them to fix....But they didn't...'It's just leaking a little' is what he said).....I'm not going back there....I wouldn't take my lawn mower there for an oil change...

Old 09-22-2006 | 09:13 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Default RE: A good and honest wrench in Detroit 'burbs..

who fixed your bike. i know somone good but hope its not the same wrench, then maybe i will give u a lead, e mail me at dancemax@aol.com

Old 11-28-2006 | 03:33 AM
gohard777
6th Gear

hey, where did you go? i live in westland and was wondering where you went. so far, i have done my own work and until i'm convinced that i can't, will continue to do so.
good luck, bob.

Old 11-28-2006 | 11:22 AM
QT Hush
Road Warrior

Have you tried Bishops Performance on Grand River in Redford, or Stevensons Cycle on Wayne Rd., in Wayne, or probably your best bet, GM Cycle on Middlebelt Rd., in Garden City? GM Cycle has been around since the 70's owned by the same guy and have always been good at what they do. Give 'em a call.

Old 11-28-2006 | 04:15 PM
gohard777
6th Gear

I always go to GM cycle on Middlebelt rd. between Cherryhill and Ford road. But, they don't really work on customers bikes, at least they didn't a few years back. I bought all my parts there unless they were too high in price. Try to keep the area vendors in business. GM, aka Gary Milligan, is an ex-drag racer, I believe in 94 he was undefeated, Pro Gas or something similar, anyway, I used to race a bit for fun so I support them. I have heard from friends that Bishops is a great place, haven't been there yet, but many great reviews, when I do need some motor work, I will go there. Bob.

Old 11-28-2006 | 04:37 PM
Hackd
|
Elite HDF Member

Before you go to either Bishop's Performance or Stevenson's Cycle send me a PM.