General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

LED lights on rear of dresser

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM
hamman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED lights on rear of dresser

Well I am new to the site so bear with me for a while. I put led lights on the rear of my "03" geezer glide which were suppose to be stop/tail/turn. I can only get tail/stop or tail/turn lights to work. Is there any to get them to work as stop/tail/and turn lights. All this new electronic stuff is driving me crazy. Thanks "hamman"

Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

can you provide the manufacturer's make and model of the lights you're referring to?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 AM
jungleman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the HD led lights on my tour pack. I had a lot of trouble with the directions.
I finally threw the directions away and wired it myself. Had to jumper a wire under the seat to bring power to the tour pack. Now I have running lights and brake lights working.
They are super bright and work well, but have no turn signals on the tour pack.
If you have these lights my recommendation would be throw the directions away and start from scratch with a test light.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM
havenolife
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a new kit [out this year] that makes those lights turn signals as well it is plug and play that is the only kit that will work

Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Mike Rice
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom Dynamics makes a great tour box kit that will give you run, turn and brake lights, and they have the capacity to blink three times every time you put on the brake. It is also a plug and play, you won't need to cut or splice anything. I have these on my 2010 Ultra Limited and they work great. If you have any questions you can call me at 336-413-3316.
Mike

Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

i already have the rear light run,turn,brake kit installed. can the tour pak run,brake, turn kit be installed in addition to that?

I'm assuming you're talking about KIT part # 69200042

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ok i went by at lunch and picked upt he 69200042 kit. It does allow the ability to plug this conversion kit in as well as the conversion kit for the rear running lights. My HD mechanic did warn me that some of the very early released conversion kits were missing a ground wire that goes into the main part of the harness. I'll install it this evening and take pics for those of you that want to tackle it. Seems fairly straigh-forward but then again, I'm an electronics guy.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

i didn't take and pics of this as it's a very easy install.
1. you simply pull the grommet out of the right side of the tour-pak where the radio antenna goes through
2. run the new harness through there
3. put the new grommet in
4. unplug the tour pak light harness inside the bottom of the tour pak on the left front side and leave it laying on the bottom
5. plug the new harness into that harness
6. remove the plastic caps from the rear light sockets
7. pull the red/yellow wire out of each rear light socket and tape them up well with electrical tape
8. replace the red/yellow wire with the respective colors from the instructions (can't remember which is which. 1 is red/violet and the other is red/brown)
9. unplug your factory harness from under the seat for the rear lights
10. plug the y-adapter that comes with the kit into the harness under the seat
11. insert the colored wires into the locking plug the kit comes with
11. plug that locking plug into the remaining connector on the y-adapter harness under the seat
12. enjoy your turn signals

*only thing to note*
I had the run/turn/brake light kit already installed under the seat for the tail lights. make sure you plug the y-adapter in FRONT of the existing run/turn/brake light kit.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

*UPDATE*

step 8 above, the wire colors are
red/violet is left
red/brown is right.

one thing I did not notice last night is I have the brake light/running light on my spoiler. the running light worked but the brake light did not. After looking at it for a minute I realized in step 5 above, the harness that comes with this 69200042 kit only has a blue and a black wire in it, HD left the brake light wire (red/yellow) out of it for whatever stupid reason. So I simply cut the red/yellow wire coming out of the spoiler light kit harness and spliced it into the red/yellow wire in the main section of the 69200042 kit harness near where the fuse is at the right rear of the tourpak. I guess they didn't think about the fact that others would have a spoiler light kit installed on the tourpak which ties into the existing harness.

All is good now.