General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Cheap GPS Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 05:12 AM
carcass
|
Advanced
Default Cheap GPS Setup

Hi All,

This post is aimed at riders who have (or are getting) an iPhone, and an aftermarket radio with iPod/iPhone controls. The Biketronics kit is an example.

This is what I have. Now, I wanted a GPS solution, but didn't want to pay several hundred more for a GPS unit, mount, etc. Here's what I did:

1) Downloaded "skobbler". A FREE iPhone app for GPS navigation. Actually, it is not a half-*** setup, it really works similar to the real units. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id370144231?mt=8

2) Purchased a mount kit for the iPhone: Very nice and inexpensive: http://www.michaelsstainlessinnovations.com/

3) OPTIONAL: I got an iPhone 30-pin cable extension to run to the handlebar-mounted phone. My regular cable is short, and fit inside my "glove-box" on my Road Glide inner fairing. I had to get the cable out to the bars: http://www.cablejive.com/

Now I have my music, and a real GPS nav system together.

Good Luck and have fun,
Carcass

Old 09-07-2010 | 06:29 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

FYI to anyone reading this....... you do not need to spend "several hundred" for a GPS and mount. As far as skobbler goes... a friend of mine used skobbler to help us locate a lake (we were going fishing), and later that day to locate a restaurant... and let me tell you it was no where near as good as a real GPS unit. Not even close. It could work in a pinch but when you can get an entire GPS setup for your bike under $200 bucks... makes no sense to depend on a buggy application that relies on cell service to work correctly.

A good affordable GPS is this Garmin nuvi 255W. Wide screen and works great.

A good mount is this one made by RAM. It's what I use and it works great. I use RAM for all my mounts on the boat too and I know RAM makes a good product.

A good power supply (provided you have a battery tender pig tail hanging from your battery) is this one from Powerlet. Use zip ties to run it up under your tank, zipping it to existing wires. That'll also give you the ability to charge cell phones and anything else using a cig lighter charger.

Before shipping the total is $168.89 for everything. And with shipping it's still under $200 at $186.09!

Old 09-08-2010 | 04:51 AM
carcass
|
Advanced

Ok, alternatives. Good. Just bringin' an idea to others.

Old 09-08-2010 | 11:47 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Sorry carcass didn't mean it to demean your post I just thought I'd mention that getting a full GPS setup doesn't necessarily equate to big bucks. I've used Google Maps on my Blackberry before (I'm NOT an iPhone hater!!! ) and I can see what you mean that this could be a good alternative.

Old 09-15-2010 | 01:29 PM
section8joe
Cruiser

I've used skobbler and it works ok. Copilot is a way better app and only costs $5 for the us map. I don't use any mount I just put the phone in my pocket an use the headphones to get the audible alerts. When my battery dies I just plug my phone into my battery tender charger. Works great!!