General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Condensation problem in 2010 Police Edition Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM
epittman15
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Condensation problem in 2010 Police Edition Electra Glide

I have a 2010 Police Edition Electra Glide and I just noticed that I had condensation in my tour pack. My life is basically in that tour pack. I have my computer, my inverter to power the lights and computer so it doesn't drain my battery. There are TONS of wires in there too. If my computer goes, then I can just go home for the rest of the day (which doesn't sound so bad after all ) I am asking on here because every time I ask our city garage to fix the problem, they either don't know or mess something else up. It is very humid here and has been very hot too, in the high 90's low 100's. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how do I fix it? Or tell them how to fix it. Oh I am sorry, the reason why I have all that stuff in the tour pack is because I am a Motor Officer. My bad....

Old 09-01-2010, 04:11 AM
leanhog
Road Warrior
Default Condensation

If there's a way to keep a container of damp rid in there. That should help.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM
dmercy
Road Captain

Forgive me, but there would be a couple of things I'd check.
Warning: I'm not a HD mechanic.
The area where the wiring enters the pak... I've never seen how that is arranged (exactly how the wiring enters the rigid pak) but I can imagine there are one or more rubber grommets. Having been a volunteer fireman with my own lightbar on the roof of my car, I solved water leakage by using the tightest possible grommet and a very small bit of silicone sealant.

The silicone sealant may do the trick for you, if there is/are rubber grommets.

If that doesn't solve it, I'm thinking it's time to see if the lid is air tight.
To check that, get yourself some foam tape (like what you can get from Home Depot that you'd use to seal a window mounted air conditioner). Get a thin strip and run it along the entire inside of the top lid, mounting the sticky tape to the lid where it meets the bottom. When you close the lid, the foam will make a perfect seal but since it is supposed to be a weather proof deal for your policy cycle, use only a narrow strip... you don't want something so thick that you couldn't latch the lid. Not seeing your lid, it is possible that the upper lid actually overhangs the bottom, in which case I'd maybe go with a slightly thicker foam and run the tape to the lid but just on the underside of the overhang instead of on the mating surface of the lid.

If you feel skiddish about doing this to your unit due to some policy of sorts, try using a thin strip of paper and see if you can slip the paper while the lid is closed. You'll have to use a narrow strip of paper and do this multiple times, opening and closing the lid to check for air leaks around all parts of the edge.

If that fixes the problem, it would be a temporary fix as eventually, the foam would no longer seal... but you'd know the source of the problem and maybe the garage could then get your tour pak replaced... having 'proved' the problem.

I've never had your experience, having to deal with a municipal garage and feeling 'stuck'. Maybe a friend knows someone who works on HD's and can take a quick look. Even doing nothing to the bike, he may suggest something that you can suggest to your garage plus you'll have the benefit of someone who may know what's he's looking at give you his opinion. Just saying. This must be frustrating.. and for that, I'm sorry for 'ya; the job is tough enough without this annoyance.

I hope these very basic ideas help.

Last edited by dmercy; 09-02-2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling, etc.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would get some dry silica and put it in a small cloth bag and set it in the bottom of the tour pack to absorb any moisture. You can probably find out where to get the silica by contacting a flower or craft shop where they use it to dry flowers.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I agree with dmercy about the lid seal. Mine has never leaked, but I had it repainted a few years ago and replaced all the sealing foam, which is available from your local friendly Harley dealer. Check any holes for the cables, plus other things such as any external lights, rack and backrest. Tourpaks provide a lot of holes for water to get inside them!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

My tour pack is always damp inside. I NEVER store anything in there that is important to me. I only keep my marriage license in there.