General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 07:32 PM
J Collins
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing

Are there any "good" alternatives for fuel stabalizers other than what Harley offers, used while being stored in a 5 x 10 storage facility. Any advice on how I should maintain my battery during this time.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Winterizing

remove your battery and take it in the house, and as far a fuel stabilizers... any auto parts house offers them.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:27 PM
BClem
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel can be stabilized with any marine or industrial fuel (gasoline) stabilizer but if you are out of commission for more than a month; drain it. Run the engine until the carb is dry (but it will not be totally) and quits. That does two things: 1. With the carb - it leaves the muck ring low in the bowl so-that when you restart, it will self clean; 2. And the last few ingestions of the engine as it stops are totally deprived of gasoline, so fuel does not wash the bore - as it will seep down past the rings. Lack of oil on the rings will cause a 'dry wall' condition which is very detrimental to the cylinders. You will have to refer to an older method of starting the engine, that is removing the plugs and oiling the cyinders to increase compression enough to start and lube the bores.

The fuel injected systems; with a long storage it is good to fog the engine down to a stop with a marine engine stor-n-start fogger - keeps the rings from sticking to the bore and prevents dry-wall - and also stops rust in the open bore and valve.

An engine was designed to run, not sit still. So that means that the norm for your Harley; and other, engines is running. The absolute best storage for your Harley is to start and run it at least once a week. That means to running temperature before shutdown. The engine, carb, and fuel system as a whole will thank you. And you will avoid many hassles with your machinery...

BClem

Storage will kill your gel cell (if it is a late model) and you need to trickle it during storage... Remove it or access an electrical outlet to trickle it with a suitable trickle charger.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

Hey J, a friend of mine has 1 of these, and says it's the best investment he's ever made.

It's neat too because there's just a small plug that is attached to your bike, and when you park it, you simply plug her in.

I'm going to get 1 myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35557

Old 11-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

Matter of fact, there's a selection of them on Ebay now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...PcY_BIN_Stores