General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Clutch wont adjust...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:57 AM
cjuroff
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch wont adjust...

I posted this in the trans tech forum but didnt get any response so I thought I would try here too.. Any help would be VERY appreciated.. thanks

I found this post https://www.hdforums.com/m_70839/tm.htm by TCSTD and was wandering if this will work on an aftermarket clutch. I pulled the cover off mine and the spring plate has 5 bolts instead of 3. I am having an issue when the clutch is pulled in the bike still pushes forward very strong.... This doesnt happen all the time though. Also just to verify the manual I have says that the tranny takes one Pint (less than a quart) is this correct? The steps I have taken are:
I adjusted the the clutch by the book on this and noticed that one of the spring plate nuts is loose while all the others are tight. I have adjusted this thing at least 12 times thinking maybe I was doing something wrong.. I cant figure this out... I called the shop and they cant get me in for another almost two weeks. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Adjust Cable
Adjust Center clutch plate bolt
Adjust spring plate bolts (I only loosened these one full turn)
Changed the fluid (old stuff was thick and MILKY)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I just bought this and havent even been able to drive it yet. (My first Harley)

Old 07-28-2006, 11:22 PM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch wont adjust...

You said it's your first Harley but didn't say if it's a big twin or sportster so this is for a big twin clutch adjustment.

Don't know if this will help but here goes:
On my '04 RKC Clutch adjustment:
1. Loosen cable adjuster so as to induce a large amount of free play at the lever.
2. Remove Derby cover. Loosen locknut on clutch adjuster screw. To take up all free play in push rods, turn adjuster screw inward (clockwise) until lightly seated.
3. Back out adjuster screw 1/2 to 1 turn. While holding adjuster screw with an allen wrench, tighten locknut to 72-120 in-lbs.
4. Squeeze clutch lever to maximun limit 3 times to set ball and ramp release mechanism.
5. Re-set clutch lever free play to 1/16 to 1/8 inch free play between end of ferrule and clutch lever bracket.

As far as tranny lube goes..mine is 20-24 oz. or until the dip stick reads full.

Good luck... hope this was some help.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:48 PM
1941ratrod
Advanced

It looks like you have a Shovlehead to me. Is the primary wet or dry If it is wet You probably need to take the cover off and take the clutch apart for inspection and posable clean or replacement. Or you could just give up and sell it to me.LOL

Old 07-29-2006, 11:04 PM
cjuroff
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies I'll give it another try....

Its a 78 Super Glide...

I havent even driven it yet how could I sell it... LOL

Old 07-30-2006, 12:13 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

The milky tranny fluid was from water, probably condensation. My '78 had a dipstick with a mark on the tranny cap. The clutch has been modified with a 5 stud clutch hub to give it a more even release. Some of these hubs were good ones, some were cheapo-import junk, and some of us modified the stock hub by replacing all the old studs and making 5 and even 10 long stud hubs.

Ratrod has it right; pull it down & inspect & clean it up. The Shovel & earlier clutches were notorious for "tugging" because of the uneven pressure exerted by the 3 studs, and because of the slop in the whole mess. A start is the 5 or 10 stud hub, but there are also Tamers & Big Fix kits that will help cure the problem. If the clutch is pulling strongly, it sounds like the plates aren't releasing from each other. This can be caused by warped plates, steel or fiber, by a warped or bent hub, by too much oil in the primary, or by too heavy of an oil in the primary.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:15 PM
1941ratrod
Advanced

ORIGINAL: cjuroff

Thanks for the replies I'll give it another try....

Its a 78 Super Glide...

I havent even driven it yet how could I sell it... LOL
Its real easy just sign the title and give me the bike.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:09 PM
cjuroff
3rd Gear

Thought I would give you A heads up on what the issue was. First of all I ended up taking it in to a shop (which I will never do again) The clutch hub was warped... That was after replacing the clutch discs.