General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Chrome Protection and Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 07:33 AM
Bigpoppa_Junior
|
Road Captain
Default Chrome Protection and Cleaning

Anyone have any recommendations on taking care of chrome? I have heard silicone spray works great and some polishes too but wondering what everyones personal experiences are and what works best.
BPJ

Last edited by Bigpoppa_Junior; 02-04-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2010 | 07:47 AM
cmiamt2009
Advanced

Took suggestion from a friend who has been working on Harleys since he was old enough to drive. He told me carnauba wax on chrome will protect your chrome. I followed his advice and it has worked great for me. Beats buying all those polishes that say it is specially formulated for chrome. The brilliance of your chrome is only as good as the shop that did the chroming from what I observed; like the chrome parts you buy the chrome will last only so long. Only when you send it to a reputable shop then you will notice the difference.

Last edited by cmiamt2009; 02-10-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2010 | 08:45 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Silicone spray will attract dirt and won't last anyway. But shooting the spoke nuts may help keep down rusting initially before you get your wax coats on there. Basically, if you regularly clean and coat the chrome it's not going to rust. It's letting it go that is the problem.
I preferred the once-a-year wax several times a year with using quickwax in between washes. But I won't touch a rag to a dirty bike; that's called sandpaper.

Old 02-09-2010 | 09:28 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs up Simichrome Polish

NOTHING is better than Simichrome Polish.......nothing. I've tried them ALL

This stuff will bring out a TREMENDOUS luster beyond even what a "jeweler's rouge" could bring. It is phenomenal. Like I said, I've tried them all. As always, use a CLEAN lint-free, extremely soft cloth. Scratches in chrome are permanent.

Old 02-09-2010 | 10:19 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
NOTHING is better than Simichrome Polish.......nothing. I've tried them ALL

This stuff will bring out a TREMENDOUS luster beyond even what a "jeweler's rouge" could bring. It is phenomenal. Like I said, I've tried them all. As always, use a CLEAN lint-free, extremely soft cloth. Scratches in chrome are permanent.
I never used this product, but I will say I recently bought a set of chrome latches from UltraKla$$ic and they were in excellent condition. He must be doing something right.

Old 02-09-2010 | 10:41 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

MAAS creme is just like the simichrome, albeit NOT cheap. I can't say for protection with these highluster cremes or for flash effect. I can't tell if there's any more bling than with just quality carnuba.
BTW, 10MF rags for $10 at Wally World, and cheap 5 packs at Harbor Freight.

Old 02-09-2010 | 12:10 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

You can't polish chrome. It won't get any more shiny by rubbing on it. All you need to do is keep it clean. Soap and water followed by maybe some glass cleaner for water spots is all it really needs.

Rust? Chrome is meant to protect metal. Think about it...Decades ago cars where heavily adorned in chrome and sat out in the weather for decades without rusting. Good chromed steel doesn't rust quickly....My truck has chromed bumpers and is sitting in the driveway with snow and road salt on it. No rust there....It's a shame our bikes have such poor chrome on them that we have to worry about the steel parts rusting if they sit in a damp garage or sit overnight in the rain.

Wax won't stop rust on cheap chrome. Don't believe me? Get a steel piece of take off chrome, wax half, leave half bare. Lay it out in the weather. Both sides will rust equally.

The good thing about our bikes is half the stuff on them is chromed aluminum, so rust bleeding thru is not an issue.

Old 02-09-2010 | 09:27 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BennieSG
I never used this product, but I will say I recently bought a set of chrome latches from UltraKla$$ic and they were in excellent condition. He must be doing something right.
Thanks Bennie

I guess we'll just enjoy an extremely lustrous protected sheen like never seen before between you and I and let the rest use vinegar and water if they want to......LOL!!!!

Old 02-10-2010 | 03:13 AM
Bigpoppa_Junior
|
Road Captain

thanks so much brothers for the great feedback I really do appreciate it.

Old 02-10-2010 | 05:54 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

This is your friend,along with some elbow grease...

Quick Reply: Chrome Protection and Cleaning