General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Why doesn't Harman Cardon Radio play all mp3 on cd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 PM
jfsimi
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Why doesn't Harman Cardon Radio play all mp3 on cd?

Hello All,

I read the other posts related to this topic with no real answer from any post as to why the Harman Cardon radio doesn't play all mp3 tracks burned to a cd. It plays some tracks while others it skips over, regardless of how the cd was burned. It plays perfectly in my Nissan Bose car stereo, and my friend's Sony stereo in her car, but not the Harley Radio. I have 87 songs burned all in the 256k mp3 format, 43 ripped from personal cd, and 44 downloaded legally and paid from Napster within the last 9 months, also all in the 256k mp3 format, NO DRM. 9 play while 35 do not play from Napster. I've tried to burn the cd different ways, as data cd in current version of Windows Media player, with both types of playlists WPL and M3U, and also drag and drop method to burn without playlist no directories. All give me the same result. 35 Napster tracks do not play while 9 tracks do play, again no DRM. Ripped tracks from personal cd play. Local Harley dealer had no idea as to what is wrong. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? Thank You in adavance. My ride 2010 flhx street glide.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You said you tried to burn in different ways. Have you tried the slowest burn speed? I had better luck burning at the slowest speed. Out of a couple of thousand songs on a bunch of CDs I have 3 or 4 songs that don't play.

There is also a difference in quality of the CDs themselves - maybe try another brand.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the best luck recording at the slowest possible speed but still have issues once in a while.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

May be a quality of the sound file issue, try to get the highest quality, and highest bitrate. Your computer may see them and play them, and they still may not work in your disc player

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM
jfsimi
Novice

I took the suggestion of burning the CD with the Slowest Speed, it took much longer to burn, but still the same problem, the same 11 napster tracks play while the same 35 do not. All tracks have no DRM and all are 256k mp3. Still pulling my hair...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same issue with some tracks being skipped...I don't know what causes it...I will be watching this thread and hopefully someone will be able to explain it.

Are you always using the same program to burn your CD? Maybe you could try using a differnent software package or even a different computer.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 PM
jfsimi
Novice
Talking

Figured it out, was able to get ALL my mp3s songs to play in the Harman Cardon Harley radio. I hope this helps everyone else who has experienced or will experience this problem. This is what I did to remedy the problem of the various downloaded mp3s from Napster that didn't play. Again, there was no DRM. I burned the 35 mp3 songs that didn't play using windows media player over 2 "Audio" CD's which converted the mp3s format to CD format. You can fit approx 15 - 18 songs in uncompressed CD format on each "Audio" CD. I then deleted the 35 mp3s songs that didn't play out of windows media player. Next I ripped the 2 "Audio" CDs back into windows media player as mp3 256 format (original format) back into my music library. After that, I once again burned all my mp3s as a "DATA" CD and all the mp3 songs played perfectly in the Harman Cardon radio. It appears the Harman Cardon radio is picky while Bose and Sony are not.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Clump
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but....

This was making me nuts! I have a '10 Street Glide. Burned MP3 CDs it would skip some songs. jfsimi got it! It works great for songs that were ripped, but songs that I bought from Amazon MP3 it skips. No clue why, they are all 256kb and the Amazon MP3s don't have any DRM, but the HD player really doesn't like them.

I tried different software, brands of disks, burning at 1x, always the same. Burned 1 with only ripped songs and it doesn't seem to skip any.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, this might be a PITA, but you could try downloading ITunes, import al the songs into the library, then try burning from there. Those Walmart/Amazon downloads always seem to be a PITA to work with. May be easier (and cheaper in the long run) to get napster, or limewire. Or even google mIRC. Plenty available out there in the way of free/cheap music!

But the post 2 posts above this should fix you: it says;
Figured it out, was able to get ALL my mp3s songs to play in the Harman Cardon Harley radio. I hope this helps everyone else who has experienced or will experience this problem. This is what I did to remedy the problem of the various downloaded mp3s from Napster that didn't play. Again, there was no DRM. I burned the 35 mp3 songs that didn't play using windows media player over 2 "Audio" CD's which converted the mp3s format to CD format. You can fit approx 15 - 18 songs in uncompressed CD format on each "Audio" CD. I then deleted the 35 mp3s songs that didn't play out of windows media player. Next I ripped the 2 "Audio" CDs back into windows media player as mp3 256 format (original format) back into my music library. After that, I once again burned all my mp3s as a "DATA" CD and all the mp3 songs played perfectly in the Harman Cardon radio. It appears the Harman Cardon radio is picky while Bose and Sony are not.

Last edited by jimsflh; 05-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Clump
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 55 Posts

Tried burning from itunes, Nero, Windows Media Player, Explorer it's always the same.

Last night I did a whole bunch of messing around - converted them all to lower bit rate, no joy - converted to .wav files (same format as a regular CD), then back to MP3, same problem. Burning at lowest possible speed. My trashcan looks like the great CD graveyard. All of these disks play fine in my Pioneer aftermarket system in My Jeep and the factory radio in my girl friend's Rav4.

Maybe burning as regular CD and then ripping is the answer, but what a PITA! There's something really odd with theHD/HK radio that's making this such a chore.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Harman Cardon Radio play all mp3 on cd?