General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Installing '06 Harmon Kardon in '05 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Actually 05 and earlier the radio was not on the J1850 Buss line, in 06 it became one of the components that communicate with each other and the ECM.
The J1850 Serial Data BUS line is what allows the DT to "See" the stereo, hence my "Barney-style" reference, but thank you for for going into such detail.... 'Specially since this info was granted out by you, which by the way is erroneous.... "If that s the case the dealer will need to use an 06 and later vin and plug it in manually with your bike hooked up to the digital tech to do it."

VIN does nothing... it is in the serial BUS, as you followed up with....

Last edited by Shovelhead Bob; 02-08-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
che398
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple answer please

Since I'm no technician and don't understand all the details of your arguments, can you tell me if I need to get it calibrated hook up to another bike (06) and lather and than put it back in mine and will work without further action ?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, You MUST install it into an 06 or later bike to get it calibrated... The wiring harness on an 05 or earlier will not allow the radio to be accessed via the dealership's Digital Technician....

Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
che398
1st Gear
Smile Thank's

I tough that you could not calibrate a radio in another bike, good, I will be able to finally solve my problem without selling the radio.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

che398 says he has an '05 FLHT and an HK head unit from an '06 bike. He doesn't say so, but presumably the used HK head unit from the '06 bike was previously calibrated when installed in the '06 bike, but he gets the calibration needed message. Don't see how taking that used radio and calibrating it in another '06 or newer bike changes a thing since he will still be installing it in his '05.

In my case, I installed an HK head unit from an '09 Ultra in my '04 EG. Because I wanted the AVC (automatic volume control) to work, I cut the speed signal wire in the radio harness (white/green stripe wire; pin-out #9 in the harness) and spliced it to the serial data wire in the speedo (IIRC slot #2 in the speedo connector. The HK head unit was then installed and everything worked as intended with no calibration needed message or beeping. The HK head unit uses the serial data to communicate bike speed for the AVC to work. The '05 and older models (mine included) use the Vehicle Speed Sensor to provide the vehicle speed information to the head unit.

So, for accuracy, my '04 installation was not a "pure" retrofit of the HK head unit into a pre-'06 bike since I did provide the HK head unit with serial data from the speedo, albeit in order to provide the information for AVC.

The Digital Tech "seeing" the HK head unit did come up after I installed the Boom Audio Music Intercom kit, p/n 77108-09 (with the CB module and non-Ultra overlay harness) and went to my local HD store to have the HK head unit flashed for the intercom function using the DT. The dealer flash is required for the intercom installation, not for CB. The service manager was going to do the flash and it's a download from HD's intranet. When he first tried to do the flash, he couldn't because my VIN was not an '06 or newer. A brief conversation took place about changing the VIN in the ECM, but a tech walked over, manipulated the DT and the flash was done without changing the VIN. We then tested the intercom function and set the VOX; the intercom worked fine. Later, the shop foreman again used the DTT; this time to turn "on" the fader function for four channel operation of the fairing speakers and the speakers in the Hog Tunes fairing lower speaker kit.

I don't know why che398 would need a calibration of a USED HK head unit; or why connecting the head unit to an '06 and newer bike and calibrating it with the DT then reinstalling the used head unit in his '05 will change anything.

che398, if you are having issues, I'd suggest you contact Iron Cross audio: http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

There have been a number of software updates to the HK head unit. ICA had my head unit to cure a software lock-up that MOCO Tech Services said made the unit I have dead beyond repair, but which ICA fixed. ICA installed the 8.19 sofware update and calibrated the head unit and returned it to me.

Perhaps che398's issues are related to the software in the '06 head unit.

In any case, splicing the white/green wire in the radio harness to the speedo's serial data wire allows my head unit's AVC to work; and, the intercom and fader function flashes were done successfully with my OEM '04 ECM.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

che398, are you in the U.S.? Is the HK unit you have from the U.S.? I ask because if your bike is an international model, but the head unit is from the U.S., that may be the reason for your radio issue.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
che398
1st Gear
Default I got it right

No my HK was bought on Ebay. It was a 2006 model refurbish 2007. It wasn't calibrated at all. I went to the HD dealer first and they couldn't calibrate it on my bike. After reading this forum, I took it off my HD 2005 and brought only the radio to another HD dealer. They plug it on a 2007 bike and calibrate it. Than I put it back in mine and everything is fine now. It's the only way to calibrate an HK radio on a 2004 and 2005. Shovelhead Bob knows better I guest ! Thank's to him, I than call the other dealer to tell them how to do it.