General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Bike Washing

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004 | 11:39 PM
12Stones
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Bike Washing

Okay, I know this seems like a stupid topic and maybe it is but after reading about washing the bike in the owners' manual I don't know. First, it tells me that I'll want to wash it weekly but not to get the wheels or engine wet. Then I have to use a special cleaner on the wheels weekly to avoid pitting and corrosion. I realize that I want to take really good care of the bike and keep it looking great but I'd like to spend more time riding than cleaning. Is this what everyone else does?

Old 11-18-2004 | 01:33 AM
Steve W
Stage IV
Default RE: Bike Washing

I wash and wax mine as necessary, and in between I use Meguires spray on shine. Spray it on, wipe and buff...easy! There are TONS of products that do basically the same thing. I use the Meguires because I use it on my cars too. I dont wash it "once a week", or even "once a month" for that matter. Also, the Eagle1 chrome polish (wadding in the can) works great, and fast on the chrome. I don't know what wheels you have, so...

Old 11-18-2004 | 08:24 AM
12Stones
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I have an '05 1200C with the stock spokes. Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-18-2004 | 08:41 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

I have two bikes that I have to keep clean and I don't like to spend the weekends washing...I like to ride. Here is my tips for this. When I wash either machine, I spray the engines and transmissions and wheels with S100 total cycle cleaner. I follow the directions on the bottle and then I wash the bikes with quality car washes. Don't ever use a pressure washer. You will force water into the wrong places. Next I rinse everything completely and then I blown dry the bikes with my leaf blower. It is a lot cheaper than an actual motorcycle dryer and then I just wipe everything else with clean soft cloth diapers. in between washes, I use the Meguires Detailing Spray. It is a very good cleaner and polish and it makes the bike look like you freshly waxed it. Make sure you remove the bugs and stuff before you use it, as you don't want to scratch the paint. The wheels are no different on your bike than on your car or truck. Wash them often and the grease and road grime will not build up on them. I have a 1992 FXSTC with more chrome on it than the Harley Catalog and 2004 FLHTCUI with complete chrome front end and vivid black paint that is swirl free and they always look clean and ready to ride. If you want any other help, send me an email and I will be glad to help you out.

Old 11-21-2004 | 05:41 PM
01FLHT4ME
Stage II

When I have the time I wash it the old fasion way, with a bucket of sopy water and a sponge.

When I do not have a lot of time I spray it down with Simple Green, let it soke for a min or two and hose it off.

Old 11-21-2004 | 06:18 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior

If you dont have a black wrinkle finish on the motor keep it protected with harley gloss or another metal protector. If you dont the aluminum will corrode. If you have aluminum rims, keep them protected too or brake dust will pit and corrode over time. As long as you protect the aluminum once a month or so you should be fine. Other than that wash the bike when you feel it is dirty enough to warrent it. Hope this helps.
David

Old 11-24-2004 | 09:48 PM
wolfsden
Stage III

I have had my 05 SPorty two months and washed it once. I keep it covered when not riding which helps to keep the washes down but I used regular car wash soap and HD polish along with some clear coat polish and the bitch looks smokin. The rims wont pit as long as you dry them. Which by the way go to Lowes or homeless depot and get yourself a leaf blower for 24 bucks and youll cut down the dry time as you wont have to get your fingers into every little cranny to get the water out. You will still have to hand dry some of the bike but no where near as bad as doing it all by hand. Also the dryer they sell at HD is like 250 bucks, versus 24 for a leaf blower.....you do the math.

Old 11-29-2004 | 01:30 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member

I use bike brite, it works very well. I use my leaf blower to dry it...

Ryan

Old 11-29-2004 | 11:13 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior

wolfsden,
By looking at the picture 12 stones posted he has aluminum rims on the rear tire. He needs to keep them protected against brake dust,road salt,etc or they will pit. One of my cars has aftermarket aluminum wheels.I learned the hard way and harley recommendes it too in the owners manual. The rims are not clearcoated or protected just raw .

David

Old 11-29-2004 | 11:28 PM
12Stones
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm gonna hafta wash it soon...if only it'll quit raining.

Quick Reply: Bike Washing