General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Hydraulic bike lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Delrob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic bike lift

Was in the dealer yesterday and the guy was trying to sell me a bike hydraulic lift. He said that if i left my bike in the garage on a concrete floor it would aid corrosion of the chrome etc, but if i had it lifted of the floor this stops it, is there any truth in this or is the guy yanking my chain? Is it worth getting one anyway for servicing cleaning etc,

Old 06-21-2006, 10:33 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Hydraulic bike lift

I'm not an authority on metalergy. Mine sit on a concrete floor and I haven't noticed any corrosion. One way to prevent I gues would be to use a biscuit(jiffy stand pad) under the jiffy and avoid contact.

As far as the jack goes, I have one. Right now they are on sale at sears for $60.00, red steel one. Sears makes two, a red one and yellow one. the yellow one is a little lower in overall height and slide under some models easier that the red one. Course you can put a 2x down and run a wheel up on it and get the jack under the bike.

I use my jack all the time for different jobs. Oil changes, cleaning, turning the bike around in the garage, etc.. I guess it depends on how much service you do to your bike. I wouldn't be without one.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

If you are gonna do any wrenching on your bike you need to get some sort of a lifting jack. I'd also recommend getting the bike stand so you can sit the bike on it and not have to work around the lift. I got my lift from Sam's Club a number of years ago and got the stand from a dealership. the Stand has got casters so you can easily move the bike around (I store it during the winter on this stand) and it really makes changing tires/wheels easy.

But if I had the room for one, I'd have one of the larger commercial type lifts.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4811/1A993A0E243C48BA9A5FEFEE82C1B016.jpg[/IMG]
I'd love to be able to change oil without crawling on the concrete.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

Sounds like a load of crap to me... I think a lift is still worth purchasing to aid in maintenance and cleaning, but I think the chrome corrosion line might be a bit far-fetched.

I have heard that if you're storing your bike for a long period you should raise the bike off the tires, so you don't get flat spots in the rubber...

Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Delrob
Advanced

thanks for the info, ive heard the one about flat spots on tyres but i reckon he was trying to make a hard ell aproach on me [8D]

Old 07-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member

Del, next he'll try to sell you some sacraficial chrome parts that you place on the floor next to your bike. The idea with this is that the rust will attact these lower parts first and therefore spare your bike

Old 07-10-2006, 09:22 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you asked him I'm sure he has some snake oil he'll sell you too.