General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Torque Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006 | 09:20 PM
Two_Into1
|
Advanced
Default Torque Wrenches

Can anyone recommend a good torque wrench for our scoots?Thanks.

Old 06-13-2006 | 12:13 AM
Longtimegone
Road Captain
Default RE: Torque Wrenches

You need at least two good quality torque wrenches ... in/lbs & ft/lbs. Plus a torque screwdriver in/lbs comes in very handy. Any good quality will do. SK Tools or K-D or Craftsmanwill do well for a few years of occasional use. Certified Snap-on, Mac, Matco or others are not necessary for the weekend wrenching.

Good Luck. Ride Safe.

Old 06-13-2006 | 06:20 AM
udnudn
Cruiser

Craftsman will get it done

Old 06-17-2006 | 04:22 PM
notorious
Road Captain

Hey, Craftsmam does the trick nicely but never, never lone it to anyone. If someone abuses the wrench you must send it to be recailabrated. How do you know?, the sound of a snapped or stripped fastner and the cash register ringing. Inch pounds are very light mostly just marginal over hand tightening in most conditions. Foot pounds are much greater in value. There is a conversion factor sheet ( in.lb. to ft.lb.) with craftsman in.lb. wrench and a little window to confirm the setting(s). Note always return the wrench to zero when completed. notorious

Old 06-19-2006 | 02:17 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

whatever you get do not go cheap. get the best that you can. I like snap on.

Old 06-19-2006 | 02:39 PM
navyman
Road Master

I have a couple of Craftsman torque wrenches. I checked their calibration at work, and they were spot on. I was able to get both on sale several years ago.

Old 06-28-2006 | 11:01 AM
DutchDyna
Novice

With regular use All torque wrenches have to be recalibrated once in a while to remain spot-on. and also when not used for a longer period of time if storing tempratures are not constant...

Old 06-28-2006 | 11:22 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Yeah my vote is for Craftsman, I've got two in 3/8 (one ft lbs, another in lbs) and a 1/2 which is good to 150 ft lbs. I also purchased a 1/2 one from Home Depot which is good to 200 ft lbs. I believe it's a Husky model. Good quality and the price was right. Torque screwdrivers are pricey and for most repairs, you should be able to get by with a 3/8 in lbs model.

Store them either in a case or in their own drawer of your tool chest. Always release the spring tension when your done with it. And don't drop them!!!!!

Most torque setting are in a range eg: 18-25 ft lbs (or in lbs). I usually try to hit it in the middle depending on the size fastner and where it's going. Also remember that most torque setting (unless specified) are based on dry (unlubricated) fasteners, and substituting a zinc (or other) coating can alter what the correct torque should be, as the plating acts as a lubricant. In some cases this can alter the specs by as much at 8-10 ft lbs depending on the size of the fastner.

Best to always use the 'correct' fastener everytime, or get a machinist quide to make your adjustments if the setting is critical.

Old 06-28-2006 | 02:18 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

Also remember that most torque setting (unless specified) are based on dry (unlubricated) fasteners, and substituting a zinc (or other) coating can alter what the correct torque should be, as the plating acts as a lubricant. In some cases this can alter the specs by as much at 8-10 ft lbs depending on the size of the fastner.

That's exactly right. A zinc plated bolt needs only 85 % of the torque that a dry carbon steel bolt would take. Torque is also affected by motor oil, never seize, WD-40, basically anything on the threads.