General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Removing fork reflectors without forfaiting visbility

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:26 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing fork reflectors without forfaiting visbility

I was done with my orange fork reflectors, so I found an alternative, which is much more discreet from an aesthetic point of view, but grants full visibility by night, as the reflectors do: a band of white reflexite.

First thing, you have to remove the reflectors.
To do so, take some fishing line and put it between two suitable handles (I used two open end wrenches).
Slide it behind the reflector and move it in a slicing motion, keeping it well against the fork (a short length of line about 10" from handle to handle is better than a long one).
Use WD-40 to help.

Once the reflectors are off, use some WD-40 and towel to remove the last pieces of adhesive. Don't scrape with metal tools, or you'll damage the surface!
Use some plastic tool if you must.

Clean all the WD-40 off the fork.

Use some water based detergent to totally degrease the fork. The fork is coated with clear paint. Don't use acetone or such solvents to get it grease-free! (Don't ask how I know... )
Alcool will do and won't attack the paint.

Once the fork is perfectly grease free, get the reflective strips, cut two to proper length and finish the ends in a rounded shape (if you like) and stick them on at equal heights from the axle.

Here the result:
The pic has been taken from an angle where the reflectors stand out most, but under normal viewing conditions they are very discreet.
When hit by headlamp light, they flare up real bright.

I found the reflective bands at my local equivalent of Wal Mart.
They can also be found usually in sports gear shops and in the car accessories section of most shopping centers. They cost me 3€ some...