General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Turn Signal Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 AM
theqlight
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Lamp

Howdy from Texas!

I have a 2008 Sportster and recently replaced the bullet turn signal housing asm. This one acts as turn signal and real lights. It uses a single filament lamp. After I replaced the asm the turn signal blinks the way it is intended but the running light will not come on. I double checked connections and the bulb is good. This is a 2 wire asm.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by theqlight
Howdy from Texas!
.... This one acts as turn signal and real lights. It uses a single filament lamp
How does it use a single filament lamp? Running lights and turn signals should use a dual filament lamp. Am I missing something in your post?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:03 PM
theqlight
Stage IV
Default Single vs Double

Thats what I thought also - but the double filament doesn't fit in the socket.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

If you're using a turn signal and running light combo socket and are using a single filament bulb, it will not work. You either have the wrong socket or the 1157 dual filament has to fit. Did you get the proper front turn signal assembly?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are wanting to have a single filament bulb do more than just T/S duty (Run/Turn/Brake), then you need to install a controller to accomplish it....

A two wire system is a hot and a ground... PERIOD.... The Black is the ground, the Violet is the Hot for the signal from the TS/SM... no Fancy-Schmantzy bulb is ever gonna change the effects of how electricity works....

Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 AM
theqlight
Stage IV
Default This is what I have been told also...

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Bob
If you are wanting to have a single filament bulb do more than just T/S duty (Run/Turn/Brake), then you need to install a controller to accomplish it....

A two wire system is a hot and a ground... PERIOD.... The Black is the ground, the Violet is the Hot for the signal from the TS/SM... no Fancy-Schmantzy bulb is ever gonna change the effects of how electricity works....
But the thing is this worked before I replaced the bullet. And then all I did was just wire the new one where the old one was located. Same color wires - same "Original HD Parts" And when I ask the guy at the HD Dealer I get a blank stare.

The dealer did give me the wrong part initially and it was a three wired one. But of course that was not correct.

I know I am missing something really simple here.