General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Seat lock - "no one makes one." Really?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009 | 09:18 PM
solstone
|
Stage II
Question Seat lock - "no one makes one." Really?

The stock seat mount has one screw holding the seat on. Is there no better way to secure this to deter theft of the seat? The only answers i've heard so far is to use a torx or a hex head screw instead to hold it down and that's the best you can do. I have to think with the zilliion aftermarket parts out there that SOME ONE makes a lock for this!

I just bought a seriously nice LePera seat but have to park it in a car port every night so want to do everything possible to prevent it from getting swiped.

Suggestions??

Old 06-04-2009 | 09:21 PM
anubisss
Banned

Someone makes one. There was a post about it a few weeks ago. Here's one. http://blogs.hotbikeweb.com/6310462/...cks/index.html

Old 06-05-2009 | 08:04 PM
solstone
|
Stage II

Cool, thanks.

Old 06-27-2009 | 01:21 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

i'm glad to be able to inject some thought on this one. if you go to an industrial supply house where bolts/nuts, etc are sold, you can get the proper 1/4-20 screw with a tamper proof torx screw head. the screw needs to be 1/2" long. and get a couple of the tamper proof torx bits too. one for your toolbag, and another for your toolbox. they will work in your 9 way harley/snap on screwdriver also. the screw head is like a regular torx head but it's got a tit sticking up in the center that prevents a regular torx bit from working. at walmart or other places, like a dennys, you'll see the screws holding the bathroom stall doors in place. it's for, you guessed it, preventing theft of the hardware. keep one on your bike so that if you need to get under the seat while out on the road you're not stranded. if you have a fastenall or other industrial supply house you can find a couple of the screws like i mentioned, in stainless of course. gardner/wescott is another source and they ship easy in small quantities, and you can get chrome there too. chrome screws are made of a much harder metal than the soft stainless ones you'll find. the stainless you'll likely find is only a grade 3. very soft. if it's a late model bike it's gonna be 1/4 X 20. meaning that it's quarter inch diameter with twenty threads per inch. check your original screw, i just did this last week with my seat screw, and it works out sweet. sorta surprised to see that harley shops haven't discovered this yet. i hope you're bored by now reading, and hope this helped.

Old 11-14-2009 | 11:26 PM
lahd4u
Stage I
Default Harley Seat Lock

I found a seat lock for my custom seat on my Harley Road Glide. It secures the seat and looks good too. It covers and locks the screw holding the seat with a chrome plated aluminum streamlined unit which mounds over the end of the seat and screw. I found it on www.laprothunder.com.
Ride Safe...

Old 11-14-2009 | 11:37 PM
DrSmaggs
Tourer

I'd rather have someone steal my seat, rather than slash it or do other damage to the scoot trying to pry it off...

Same thing for locking gas caps... some people will punch a hole in your tank (car or bike) if they can't siphon your gas.

There are some messed up folks out there.

However, the seat lock is really nice if you have trouble with your seat screw falling off over time. I lost one once, but now I check it frequently

Old 12-29-2009 | 10:03 AM
NYBagger92
Road Master

wrong thread!! oops

Last edited by NYBagger92; 12-29-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: ooops