General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Nothing but problems with Speedo Tach 74676-07

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
rj225
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing but problems with Speedometer Tach 74676-07

I purchased the HD Speedo Tachometer Combo with Color matched lighting that HD sells for $500 under part number: 74676-07. Since they’ve installed the speedometer, it's required several trips back to the dealer. The first day I rode the bike, the speed needle would stick at random spots in the top half of the gauge. Speedo would not calibrate – even when I turned off the bike and turned it on again. The needle seemed to be stuck –even when the bike was turned off and parked. Dealer could not replicate the symptom but cleaned all the connections at the plastic connector and sent me home. On the way home it started doing the exact same thing. Even when I turned the bike off, the needle would remain stuck at the 80mph reading (or whatever random number it felt like stopping on that day). On the next trip to the dealer they replaced the speed sensor. After several more trips I convinced them it was a bad unit. They ordered a new one and put it on. It ran smoothly for a couple weeks until I took a long ride yesterday when the same thing happened.

I suspect that under the hot sun, the backing underneath the needle is warping enough to cause friction against the needle making it stick. I can’t prove this theory. This is getting frustrating. Are there any known issues with this POS gauge? I never had any such issues with my OEM gauge that I have since sold. The attached picture was taken when the bike turned off and parked on the jiffy stand.

RJ
2007 Heritage Softail Classic (FLSTC)

Attached Thumbnails Nothing but problems with Speedo Tach 74676-07-badspeedo_01.jpg  

Last edited by rj225; 06-17-2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,234 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering getting one, but for $500, I may have just reconsidered.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 AM
fjm3rd
Tourer

I have the other one for the FXD's #74735-09 and haven't had any problems with it so far. It's been on for about 4 months now.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue with a stock speedo....
sometimes it would not work at all...
ended up being a week battery... new battery...problem went away

Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 PM
vschlitz
2nd Gear
Default Speed Tach Combo 74676-07

rj225, I am feeling your pain also with this gauge. I purchased it July '08 and with in the first month the needle stuck. Called Chicago Harley they send another, I went problem free until May '09. I agree, it is the direct sunlight that causes the issuses. I have tested this theory just yesterday, parked in sunlight for about an hour and the needle sticks, in the shade for an hour with a towel over the gauge and no problem. I can ride in the evenings or early mornings and no problems, after noon, forget about it. I plugged the OEM in for a few days and works great.

I called Chicago Harley about a month ago which they told me to call HD Customer service, who told me to take it to the local dealer (Frederick,MD Harley). The service desk person (Ron) looked at it and told me, since I didn't buy it there, or have it installed there wasn't much he could do and walked away. I relayed this back to HD Customer Service, of which they were non to happy with. I now have an appointment on Monday morning at 8:30. Of course it will not act up that early in the day.

Now back to HD customer service. They told me there is only a 90 day warranty on parts, I about fell on the floor. But, it gets, better, CS told me they want to verify it is not an install issue. Come on, with the instructions they provide a 10 year would feel comfortable installing. They are very reluctant to replace this gauge after numerous phone calls. DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM.

2007 Heritage Softail Classic.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 AM
vschlitz
2nd Gear
Default Speedo Problem Follow Up

Here is the latest. I have been going round and round with Chicago Harley and Harley Davidson Customer Service. Seems everyone knows there are issues with this Speedo/Tach combination. HD Cust Serv says there warrent the parts for 90 days if self installed, so there's your caution sign. Now HD Cust Serv says they are willing to work with me and instructed me to take it to the dealer for testing. Of course, they ran their little test and everything was fine. As I stated in previous post, it appears to be the heat and direct sunlight. So looks like I'm screwed. If you are like me, and I know there are allot of you out there who like to "self install", heed caution on electrical or electronic parts as HD is very relucktant to find a resolution in your favor.

The next speedo/tach will probably be a Dakota Digital, far more information on these babies. Plus, it carries a 2 year limited warranty. Not sure what the limited part is.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM
garryowen
Stage I

I found that the problem is the black facecover under the needle gets a bubble in it from the direct sunlight and wedges the speedometer needle in place until it cools down, (out of the sunlight) after two attempts with different speedo/tachs I gave up and went back to my originial one, this was a shame as the tack/combo looked great and I really like the it on my bike.
The local dealer work with me on this and refunded my money, after Harley corrects these issuses I will try again.

Last edited by garryowen; 07-12-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added more and spelling correction
Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM
vschlitz
2nd Gear

Was riding the bike today at lunch, and the speedo would not go back to zero. When at a stop sign speedo reads 25mph. I hurried to the local (Frederick) dealer, were Frank and a tech looked at and confirmed the problem. The tech stated this was the first he had ever heard of the problem. Well, I informed him of this site, as HD is not informing thier techs of current problems. Only at the dealership a few minutes, and they informed me they were going to call HD Customer Service and get back in touch with me.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:39 PM
DynaDuo
Novice
Default Me Too: Feeling the Pain

I too have the same problem with sticking. The dealership did replace the first one they installed even though it was just over the 90 day warranty thing they told me also ... they said it did not matter on the 90 days even if they had installed it, which they did because at the time I first bought it they were having a parts sale if they installed. It definitely is related to direct sun light or heat. The second one worked initially and on the first one I did notice the black label/face warped a little. The second one was not warped initially, but now is and I am having the same trouble as before.

I am going to pull it out and look to see if I can find who makes it .... or does anyone know the direct manufacturer of this, maybe they can give some advice. It seems like maybe the label does not have any expansion room for heat ... I was going to take it out and see if there is any way to get inside and "loosen" it up ... or maybe the warp is just the initial heat "soak" and if flattened again maybe would not warp again .... any other ideas out there?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 PM
lvfstdyhrd
Stage I
Default ABS lamp on

I have the aftermarket speedo tach with the changable color scheme as well. Everything worked fine until recently when the ABS indicator came on. My bike does not have ABS so I COULD just ignore it but it bugs me. Any suggtestions? The dealer hooked it up to their analyzer and cleared it but it came right back.

Quick Reply: Nothing but problems with Speedo Tach 74676-07