General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Nothing but problems with Speedo Tach 74676-07

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Blacksnakechief
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach 74676-07, Don't buy this unit, you will regret it!

This problem goes back to 08 on my 07 Road King Classic. I was getting moisture under the glass on my original speedometer and the dealer replaced it under warranty. That one had the same problem and they replaced it again under warranty. This one didn't have any moisture problems, but the cruise light would not work. They thought it was wiring on the bike but after much T-shooting, they decided the problem was in the speedometer. They tried another speedometer off another bike and it still didn't work. Finally, they got authorization from Harley to replace it with the HD 74676-07 speedometer/tachometer unit (with my consent). Here it is four years later and now after a hot road trip this summer to Tennessee, the black plastic bezel on the unit began to swell in the heat and caused the speedometer needle to hang-up. It would be ok after it cooled down, but it would eventually heat up again and cause the needle to hang-up. I took it back to the dealer who did the original warranty work and they said Harley only warrants accessories for 90 days, even if they install them. I took it to another dealer and they said they couldn't do anything about it and suggested I call Harley customer service. I just got off the phone with them and she said the dealer would have to go through Harley Tech Services to get it replaced. I told her my dealer already tried that and got a no. I asked her if there was a higher representative I could talk to about resolving this and she said no. I told her I would post something on the Forum about this issue, so here it is. Don't buy this item. Something that costs $500.00 should be free from factory defects, even after four years. Let the buyer beware and don't expect the friendly folks at Harley to stand behind the parts they sell.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Beachman
Advanced

I have a 08 fat boy and I installed the speedometer/tack. Everything works fine except the fuel gauge reads1/2 full when the tank is actually empty? any suggestions?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Joe H
Stage II

I purchasedthe same speedo in 2008 and it failed as per your explanation. I purchasedanother in 2010 and it failed. I contacted the Harley dealer who I purchasedthe second one from and began a long and difficult process in getting itreplaced.

The speedohad passed the 90 day warranty period and was not installed by the dealer andso tough luck. I persisted and finally was given a new slightly differentspeedo.

After allwas said and done the dealer said yes it was a manufacturing problem and thatthis model was not manufactured anymore.

Why theymade me jump through hoops in getting a replacement when they knew it was adefective speedo does not speak well of the dealer or Harley.

Now, on tothe install problem. The new speedo will not complete the data down link to thedefective speedo. It down load to 96% then freezes. Can anyone help with this problem?

Thanks