General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Becoming A HD Tech ??? How???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Grayghostnc
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becoming A HD Tech ??? How???

What is the best way to get training as a HD Tech/Mech ? I have a full time job but would like to get some training and experience reference working on all models of HDs. Hopefully have a small second income and do full time when I retire from current career. Ask a local dealer for help or offer free time at a shop?

I would eventually like to be a certified tech.

Thanks for your input and insight !

Grayghostnc

Old 05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

The best way is to attend MMI in FL or AZ. However, you do not need to attend the school. You can be trained by an HD in-house mechanic and online courses from HDU on the h-dnet system. Then you have to go before an instructor and complete tasks in order to be certified. Honestly, I highly doubt a shop will let you come in and assist for free in the mechanical side of it unless they are really hurting for techs.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Grayghostnc
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your response.
I will try to find some training on-line.

Any ideas where to search ???

My job is great now with retirement and benefits. I retire in 15 years but would love to work on bikes full time when I retire.

Thanks again.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I too have to go another 15 years for retirement. I currently work part time at HD in the parts dept. and have for the past two years. I would suggest doing something like that as a start. Where I work wanted to start to cross train me as they were short on techs and I was going to help with oil and tire changes and whatnot. I would suggest doing something like that. You don't necessarily have to start out in the service department, just work part time at a dealer and show them what you got and they may let you help with some stuff.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Rabbit_
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys ,

I've been thinking about this same thing , I've got about 20 years before
I retire and looking to start something on the side now until it rolls around .

I'm looking at an at home type schooling through Penn Foster , guess I'm
kinda second guessing myself right now and not sure if this is the way to
go , maybe you guy's could check it out and let me know what you think ,
here's the link , http://pennfoster.edu/motorcycle/index.html

thanks ,
Dan

Old 05-28-2009, 04:21 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A Thread Right Up My Alley!

I'm the "anti-Christ of encouragement" in this thread but here's my experience along those lines: After 20-years in the Navy, I thought the same thing and have been planning it since 1997. You know, "Living the Passion"! I saved up $20,000 during my tour in the ME, got out and located to Reno, then moved down to Phoenix [three trips all told] to attend MMI for Early & Late Model Courses on the GI Bill. I graduated in Dec 2008 [2nd in my class and ALL PHd's completed!] but have not received one call-back in the Phoenix area out of the four dealerships I've applied at {twice}. There are SOME jobs out there but would take relocating and I am not ready to move after 20-years of moving in the Navy; besides a "tech" job off the bat is hard to get [unless you know people] but IF I WERE CALLED IN, it would probably be starting as the one of the guys at $8.00/hr bleeding brakes [if you're THAT lucky to work on a bike!] or cleaning bikes all day! Even Biker's Bay has cut back and the Ops Manager for Phoenix area rides in my group! However, during school, you can opt to accept positions available through their service for part-time so if you do go, do that to get foot in door before grad date. So, long story short, I've gone through my savings, have a student loan to pay for 8-years [$8,500 owed with $18,000 already paid to school via GI Bill] to get but there are no $8.00/hr jobs! IMHO it seems to me for the amount of money to attend, it's not worth the actual job $$$ available [esp. in this economy now]. If you look at the amount of people going through their training [grinder] program, you'll realize there are more mechanics than jobs available, so if they hire, it will be an "experienced, proven tech" vice someone right out of school. As long as you realize this and a JOB is not a priority and if you have the money to go [it can get expensive here but they have group housing available], the school was great with a lot of hands on plus they let you work on your own as long as work can be done that night; sometimes you even get free parts and that good HD synth. Afternoon class even blew up an 883 to 1200 conversion in the SE Dyno Course; what a hoot! On the plus side, I never have to worry about taking my bike to the dealership [but I rarely did anyway before] and if I did I know exactly what it takes to fix and what fair price is and any argument involving HD repair at the bar, I WIN! Plus my bikes always run GREAT! Even "earned" a few bottles of JW Scotch doing repairs on friend's bikes on occaision. As far as Penn Foster, it seemed like taking flight training on the net, so I don't recommend but that's MHO! I guess best advice is to think [unemotionally] before jumping in before investing and realize graduating doen't necessarily mean "employment"!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robzuc97
I'm the "anti-Christ of encouragement" in this thread but here's my experience along those lines: After 20-years in the Navy, I thought the same thing and have been planning it since 1997. You know, "Living the Passion"! I saved up $20,000 during my tour in the ME, got out and located to Reno, then moved down to Phoenix [three trips all told] to attend MMI for Early & Late Model Courses on the GI Bill. I graduated in Dec 2008 [2nd in my class and ALL PHd's completed!] but have not received one call-back in the Phoenix area out of the four dealerships I've applied at {twice}. There are SOME jobs out there but would take relocating and I am not ready to move after 20-years of moving in the Navy; besides a "tech" job off the bat is hard to get [unless you know people] but IF I WERE CALLED IN, it would probably be starting as the one of the guys at $8.00/hr bleeding brakes [if you're THAT lucky to work on a bike!] or cleaning bikes all day! Even Biker's Bay has cut back and the Ops Manager for Phoenix area rides in my group! However, during school, you can opt to accept positions available through their service for part-time so if you do go, do that to get foot in door before grad date. So, long story short, I've gone through my savings, have a student loan to pay for 8-years [$8,500 owed with $18,000 already paid to school via GI Bill] to get but there are no $8.00/hr jobs! IMHO it seems to me for the amount of money to attend, it's not worth the actual job $$$ available [esp. in this economy now]. If you look at the amount of people going through their training [grinder] program, you'll realize there are more mechanics than jobs available, so if they hire, it will be an "experienced, proven tech" vice someone right out of school. As long as you realize this and a JOB is not a priority and if you have the money to go [it can get expensive here but they have group housing available], the school was great with a lot of hands on plus they let you work on your own as long as work can be done that night; sometimes you even get free parts and that good HD synth. Afternoon class even blew up an 883 to 1200 conversion in the SE Dyno Course; what a hoot! On the plus side, I never have to worry about taking my bike to the dealership [but I rarely did anyway before] and if I did I know exactly what it takes to fix and what fair price is and any argument involving HD repair at the bar, I WIN! Plus my bikes always run GREAT! Even "earned" a few bottles of JW Scotch doing repairs on friend's bikes on occaision. As far as Penn Foster, it seemed like taking flight training on the net, so I don't recommend but that's MHO! I guess best advice is to think [unemotionally] before jumping in before investing and realize graduating doen't necessarily mean "employment"!
Well , thank you for the advice , I figured I would hear exactly what you
have said , guess I'd better stick with driving a truck !

Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

15 to 20 years till retirement?.....We'll be riding electric motorcycles by then.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL I wished I'd gone to that [truck driving school] instead! Problem is I can barely back my 10' X 6' trailer so I can imagine trying with a 40 ft. one!

Quick Reply: Becoming A HD Tech ??? How???