General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

I can start my bike without the key being anywhere nearby!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 PM
TAWoody
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry I can start my bike without the key being anywhere nearby!!

This is just scary because it's been like this since I bought it. Apparently I can start the bike and ride off without the key on me. I left the key in my work building and was able to start my bike and ride off about 100-200 yards away. I KNOW the key fob sensor is not that good. What the hell is going on and how do I fix it? This is completely unacceptable.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Security wasn't set up, or there is a fob attached to the bike...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:02 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your bike might have facial recognition installed.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Fob only stops you from starting it, once started you can ride away with out it... just don't turn it off.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:42 PM
fat boy
Advanced

use the key to lock the switch end of problem

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second FOB on the bike? or on you? or it's broke. At least you found out about it before someone else did.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
TAWoody
Tourer

So either security wasn't set up properly or there is another fob attached. I bought it basically new with only 150 miles so I doubt someone took the time to attach the fob somewhere. I know every inch and nook in this thing and haven't seen a fob anywhere. I'll check the manual and see what it says about setting up security.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Woody

Is your bike an 05? The proximity farb didn't start until 07?? I think you have to push the button once to engage the alarm then give it two (mouse button like) clicks to disarm.

Now the question is... did you click the farb to arm the alarm? If so, grab your MOM (motorcycle operators manual) and you can set the farb and the alarm functions yourself. It's pretty easy and.. check your farb battery too. I only get about two years life out of mine.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:06 PM
juspasnthru
Cruiser

Where do you live?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
TAWoody
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Woody

Is your bike an 05? The proximity farb didn't start until 07?? I think you have to push the button once to engage the alarm then give it two (mouse button like) clicks to disarm.

Now the question is... did you click the farb to arm the alarm? If so, grab your MOM (motorcycle operators manual) and you can set the farb and the alarm functions yourself. It's pretty easy and.. check your farb battery too. I only get about two years life out of mine.
Uh oh. It is an 05. You think this year didn't have the fob sensor? The dealership I bought it from said it did so I've been assuming that the bike wouldn't start when the fob is not close by. WOW that's not good. I did read my manual today and didn't see anything about it in there so I'm guessing you're right.

I've hit the fob button twice to disarm but I don't think it's setup properly because nothing happens. I've replaced the battery already so it should be good. I'll have to reengage the system tomorrow and set up auto-alarm to enable after 30 seconds.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: I can start my bike without the key being anywhere nearby!!