General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Installing a Luggage Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006 | 02:45 PM
Headwolf
|
Tourer
Default Installing a Luggage Rack

Hi
I recently purchased a luggage rack that mounts to my detachable sissy bar. My question is the instructions say to use red loctite on the chrome mounting bolts. Now I remember reading a warning about when you tighten chrome nuts on chrome bolts, you can sieze the nut before you get it tightened all the way on. I read the tech tip about loctite and anti sieze and figure you can't use both at the same time and want to know if I use the red loctite as instructed, will I have to worry about siezing? It only gets 14 ft lbs of torque and I'm not sure if that is enough to cause a siezing problem I was thinking that is a problem for bigger bolts and more torque. The nuts to these bolts have little dimple on them that when you go to thread the nut on by hand, it stops before the bolt comes through the other side. This is a design to insure it stays tight as compared to regular nuts and bolts that allow hand tightening all the way on? I figured it will thread ok when pressure is applied by the torque wrench. Can this lead to siezing? just don't want to screw up the bolts before I get them tightened all the way and have the rack secure. Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2006 | 03:10 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Default RE: Installing a Luggage Rack

Just use blue Loctite. That's sufficient. Seize is not a problem for these bolts.

Old 04-26-2006 | 04:07 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Default RE: Installing a Luggage Rack

Use red if you never want to take it back apart, and blue if you want it to come apart again. The locktite will act like anti seize (lube the thread) when assembling.