General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Lifting Tips Anybody got some

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Walkentall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting Tips Anybody got some

I am a newbie and need some tips on how to get the bike on the lift and in the air without dumping it. I have a yellow sears lift.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the yellow Sears lift also. It easily fits under my lowered SE Fat Boy, while it is still on the jiffy stand. I position the jack under the bike, so it's under both sides of the frame properly. Then I straddle the bike and pump the handle until the bike straightens up and is almost off the ground. Then I get off the bike and raise it up to the height I want.
When I am ready to lower it I straddle the bike first.
I've read on here that some owners say that the jack lowers too fast, but I have no problem easing it down. I just barely turn the handle and it comes down fairly slow.
Make sure you use the lock, so it can't accidental come down.
I have used mine dozens of times and for some reason 2 of those times I had a hard time disengaging the lock.
Tom

Last edited by tmitchellof PG; 03-06-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

No need to sit on the bike. Slide the lift under about halfway back. LEAVE THE KICKSTAND DOWN! Slowly jack it up an inch or two until the bike is on the lift completely and straight up and down. Jack it up some more until you have it where you need it. Always double check when letting it down that the kickstnnd is down.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Put the lift under the motorcycle and lift until level, then place web straps over bike and secure . Then lift slowly and tighten straps as needed.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
No need to sit on the bike. Slide the lift under about halfway back. LEAVE THE KICKSTAND DOWN! Slowly jack it up an inch or two until the bike is on the lift completely and straight up and down. Jack it up some more until you have it where you need it. Always double check when letting it down that the kickstnnd is down.
I just feel like it gives me a bit more control, in case something were to go wrong, if I am straddling the bike.
Tom

Old 03-06-2009, 02:39 PM
TruBluUltra
Tourer

I'm another that never sits on the bike when raising or lowering (yellow craftsman here too). I make a habit of raising the lift (usually just half a pump of the handle) before releasing the lock. And I agree, I never have any problems with control when lowering back to the ground.
Paul

Old 03-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Walkentall
Cruiser

Thanks everyone. The info is extremely helpful.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 AM
dusty rider
Advanced

Do yourself a favor & get a J&S jack. A word of caution...the first time the bike settles on to the jiffy stand (when lowering) it'll scare the crap out of you!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lift from harbor freight , it's just about the positioning of it
before lifting , and lowering it is just about having that kickstand down ,
I stand on the left side and use an old broom handle on the release
just to be safe .

Old 06-27-2009, 01:37 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

take your yellow sears jack, same as i have, park the bike on its jiffy stand. roll the jack in under the right side of the bike till the frame is pretty well centered. leave the jiffy stand down, then start pumping the jack till it starts lifting the left side of the bike. check underneath to make sure your rubber pads on the jack are contacting the frame securely, then after checking to make sure, go ahead and lift the bike off the ground. that way, you use one hand to operate the lift, and your other hand on the throttle grip to keep the bike from falling toward you. and be absolutely sure that you have the jiffy stand down when you lower the jack to the floor, cause if not, you'll not be able to hold the bike from falling over on its left side. it's really easy when you get used to it. that's my method anyway. and if you remove the front wheel use a small floor jack-car type under the rear wheel. otherwise when you remove the front wheel the balance will be off and your bike may go off the jack to the rear due to unbalance. that's how i do it anyway, and it's worked for me, and it's safe.

Quick Reply: Lifting Tips Anybody got some