General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

08' high idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
globetrotter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 08' high idle issue

okay so the people that don't have issues with this please don't reply.We've been through this and this (HIGH IDLE IS AN ISSUE) Also fully aware about the cycling of the ignition 4 times,keeping hand off throttle etc.etc etc.That is not a solution,but a temp fix.

Okay sorry for the rant,
What i would like to know is has the dealership come up with an adequate fix,flash, download so the poor people on this forum can be satisfied and ride there bikes in a safe manor.
Is there one yet?? If so, what is the flash code or number for reference as many dealerships around the continent aren't aware, so that we may enlighten them of this problem.
Thanks all, just frustrated like many as i've dealt with this every way imaginable and so far no permanent solution.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
globetrotter
6th Gear
Default dealer flash

this seems to be the only addressing thread on the dealer flash.....still not sure if its the end all be all.

TT380 – June 12, 2008 - High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models
High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models
Due to ’08 Electronic Throttle Control calibration strategy parameters and throttle grip sensor variability some customers have experienced intermittent changes in idle RPMs. This condition is caused by a change in the zero position stored to memory in the ECM, as determined by the last four readings seen at key OFF. This cannot increase engine speed while riding but would change the idle RPM, similar to adjusting the throttle stop screw on a carbureted model.
To correct this condition we will be making several changes to the throttle grip sensor to
reduce voltage variances and also update the way the calibration’s strategy looks at and
records these voltages. Completion of these changes and test validation will take several
months.
In the interim we have released revised calibrations in the latest version of Digital Tech to alleviate the high idle concerns for those customers experiencing the condition. The current software version (1.004.001) and details of the changes can be viewed by selecting the What’s New button on the home screen of DTII. This info is also on h-dnet under:
Service>Tools & Equipment Info>DTII>Version Updates-What’s New. The new calibrations
will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key OFF to complete housekeeping,
allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle control can return to true zero before the ECM power is shutdown. This should eliminate rider induced zeroing issues. Additionally, the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similar to a loose throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles.
Therefore, we recommend only reflashing vehicles for customers experiencing the high idle concern and wait for the next version calibrations before updating vehicles on a wider scale.
SE Race Tuner and SE Super Tuner calibrations have not been updated at this time, and
reflashing a stock cal over a Tuner cal may only temporarily alleviate the high idle, until you reflash back to a tuner cal.
It is recommended anytime you replace ECM, TGS or Reflash the calibration to cycle the Ign. switch 4 times, waiting 10 full seconds after keying off between cycles, to relearn zero TGS position.
The following warranty credit procedures will apply to domestic dealers only:
Warranty credit will be allowed for reflashing the calibration at the usual rate.
For OE calibrations including CVO, file an MC claim using labor code 7804 for 0.2 hours
labor.
For SWR’ed P&A calibrations, file a PNA claim using labor code 8209 for 0.2 hours labor.
Non-registered P&A performance calibrations will require preauthorization for warranty credit.
NOTE: Labor code 8209 is a new code and may need to be downloaded into your system

Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 AM
globetrotter
6th Gear
Default had the hd download and the problem is solved for now.

I do notice very minimal hesitation in throttle response, but i feel nothing to be too concerned with, as the surge i felt last summer in a parking lot and high idle almost every time the bike was fired up ( reset on off would solve the problem for a start up or 2) but i cant speak for everyone and from what hd is saying this is a temp fix download. But atleast i can ride it down to vegas i feel in a much safer enviroment especially with the woman on the back. good luck all and hope this helps with some of you with similar experience.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:54 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I noticed the high idle phenomenon as well. Oh and BTW I have an '09. The first time I felt it was in a parking lot and it felt like I had a stuck throttle and almost drove into a parked car. It was idling at 2K. If I twist the throttle forward it will start idling at about 1K. I have tried the 4 on/offs and it does fix the idle issue for a few startups but it eventually goes back to 2K idle.

I'm at 800 miles so when I hit 1K miles I'll have them flash it and I'll report back.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I had this high idle issue on my '08 Ultra. I took it my the shop and a friend(mechanic) that works there plugged it up and said it had one of the first downloads for the '08 models, and that there had been many improvements and quickly downloaded the last one that they were now using. That fixed my problem and did not cost me a dime.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:00 PM
globetrotter
6th Gear
Question 500 km later....

The reflash works great, i even tried to get the idle back up by holding the throttle on and shutting down the bike and still no high idle issues which is great.
Only thing i notice now though is my mileage per tank has gone down quite substantially since the flash.Have any of you noticed a difference??

Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

wow globetrotter, that's some great information. i have an 08 and have experienced high idle one time so far. no problems since though. thanks for an in depth report.