General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Bike has been sitting--won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM
swede1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike has been sitting--won't start

Hi all,

I have a '99 fatboy that I used to drive regularly up until a couple of years ago when I went back overseas for awhile, and it was left sitting in my garage for that time (sorry ). Well, I'm back and I'd like to get the beast back up and running in perfect shape again. Before I left the bike ran just fine, but now it wont start. It turns over but won't ignite, the extent of trouble shooting so far has been hooking it up to a fresh battery, but to no avail. Any suggestions as to where to start looking? I'm no genious when it comes to engines, but I'd like to at least give it a shot myself before I tow it to a professional (and I have the repair manual--I'm good with directions).

Thanks!!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try changing plugs and gas..clean out carb..

Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Shoot alittle gas down each cylinder Now try it again If it fires let us know

Old 02-07-2009, 07:30 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

try new plugs before anything else. put some gas into the plug holes before you put the plugs back in. try to start it.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

If you left the fuel in there for a a couple years,that fuel has probably turn to gum,varnish.Best thing to do is drain and rinse the tank,fuel line.Might want to replace the fuel filter or clean the petcock screen.
The carb should be cleaned also.Check the jets and needle/seat for for any gummed up gas.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

pour some marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
hdpearl70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dawg
pour some marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes.
+1...worked on a sporty some years back I had

Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 PM
swede1
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies guys..!! Well I took the carburetor out and drained it and it definitely didn't smell like fuel, more like a paint-shop so I guess some of the fuel had gone bad. I cleaned it out as good as I could without taking the entire thing apart. However (and forgive me for using the wrong nomenclature here), when I engaged the throttle there was fuel leaking out where the "throttle arm" attaches to the carburetor...I opened that portion up and there is a membrane/filter right there, and I assume this is some form of secondary fuel filter??? I'm assuming that has gone bad and no longer seals. I am having trouble with photobucket at the moment but I'll try to get a pic or two up to help identify this part.

Now someone mentioned a fuel filter...I can't find one in-between the petcock (had to google that word ) and the carburetor..I assume an inline filter is not standard.

Again, thanks for your help guys...I may not know what I'm doing, but I still have a blast doing it....

Old 02-08-2009, 05:10 PM
swede1
4th Gear

Here are some pics of the parts I was talking about...

This is the membrane/filter I was talking about....

Lousy pic, but this is where I noticed the leak. Coming from the rubber sleeve covering the needle/pin attached to the throttle.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:51 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The membrane is a diaphragm...if it has holes like a filter, replace it. You outta just replace all of the rubber in the carb. Cheap insurance. I believe the other pic has a shaft with an o-ring that can be replaced.

Quick Reply: Bike has been sitting--won't start