General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Harley Davidson didn't design the 88!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:45 PM
BClem
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Davidson didn't design the 88!

Harley Davidson bought the design for the 88 engine. They don't have engineering staff capable of designing such an engine. Look at the basic Harley engine; see a basic design change? Harley, for one item has always driven their cams with gears - even with dispositioning protrusions on their cases to compensate.

The 88 is a good engine and has rejuvinated their role as a motorcycle builder (but of course, Orange County ********* has helped) who say little about the 88B. ( then maybe those clowns don't know the difference). They're Tiwanese anyhow, aren't they? (NY, USA) but loyal to whom?

Beans!

BClem

Old 10-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Harley Davidson didn't design the 88!

Hey Clem,

Did you read that somewhere? I'd be interested in reading about this if you can point me to the Mag or article.

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 10-21-2004, 08:36 PM
BClem
Banned

Allow me a bit of time to put this in order for you. I read and also have good sources for this information which will be a pleasure to reveal.

Harley Davidson needs to be truthful to their customers and stop treating them (their livelyhood) with so much disregard. Harley is on the crest of a wave and will soon settle into their norm (looking for investors) and will have lost the faith of their old customers (again). Remember Indian? They screwed their average customer because they saw great quantities of money providing the local police with motorcycles; problem is, motorcycles were Hollywoods' active thwart during that period and ruined it for Indian. Harley Davidson whored themselves for a while until their old customers saw fit to rejuvinate the company. Now you would think they were the top of the world... Not so as they continue to ***** themselves.

Talk to the mechanics at your local dealer. Are they happy working on Harley Davidsons when the company is so self centered that they don't continue to teach or support their workers? Harley needs to come back to earth. Trouble is, they will, and bring the loyal Harley biker types down too...

Orange County Morons; you need to come back to earth too! You are hilarious especially you DAD! Muscle bound clown with chops and dim wit! Let your son go; between the two of you, he is far brighter( 65 watt on a 100 watt scale), you may be about 25 watt with muscles and a pointed head. Dim.

BClem

I'll return with names and sources for this information. Thank you.

Old 10-24-2004, 06:22 AM
BClem
Banned

The '88' was designed by an engineer named James Feuling. He worked in the automotive industry for the most part but was brilliant in a practical sense about engines and their mechanism. He engineered a means for the V twin to reduce the angularity of the valve train including the roller tappets, pushrods and rocker shafts. The design was for the cams to be linked together with a roller chain and then driven as an assembly from the pinion shaft. His inovative design also included an enclosed oil and scavenge pump, the unit assembly of the engine and transmission and totally reconfigured heads without the hemispherical chamber that Harley Davidson always utilized.

Jim Feuling died after realizing many success with his endeavors including the design of the twin cam V twin that Harley Davidson adopted for a new series of motorcycles.

I will put more together for you if you are interested in Jim Feuling.

BClem

Old 10-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

I need answers! Do a biography! As I said, I need info!!!

Old 10-29-2004, 06:23 PM
BClem
Banned

You 'need'? I enjoy helping with information, but you're demanding it?

BClem

Old 11-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info BClem. I'd love to hear more if you want to share...

Ryan

Old 11-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

BClem, sorry, poor attempt at humour.

I still would like any info on Fueling that you have. I have found in the past that HD floods us with info on the startup and repurchase, but really does not provide all facts. When I read the book "Motorcycle Milllionaire" on Trev Deeley, I couldn't believe all the HD history I didn't know. I suspect the same is true with Fueling, and wanted to learn as much as possible.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2004, 04:11 AM
BClem
Banned

Bonneville Racer and innovator Jim Feuling passes away

Jim Feuling, LSR record holder, member of the 200 & 300 mph clubs,
manufacturer, inventer passed away Thursday after a long bout with cancer.
Services will be Thursday at 1 PM in Thousand Oaks.Ca.

Website of his work. http://www.feuling.com/

The following bio of Jim Feuling was taken from the Feuling website.

"Jim Feuling is an inventor, author, publisher, philosopher, pilot, motorcycle and automobile designer/builder/racer and leading-edge researcher/developer in the field of engine design and fluid dynamics. Jim founded Feuling R&D/Advanced Technologies in 1974. His experience with high-efficiency engines began at an early age. He started riding motorcycles at age 5 and flying aircraft at age 11. He tuned and raced his own motorcycles and won the California State TT Championship at 16. He graduated from high school in Honolulu, Hawaii, attended Southwestern College and The University of the Seven Seas. Jim served in the United States Army Special Forces. He subsequently began building and racing sports cars and off road cars. Jim scored many off-road racing victories. He was awarded the prestigious SCORE "Mechanic of the Year" trophy in 1976. His racing engines, high performance components and inventions have been used worldwide, from Daytona to Monaco, from off-road racing to Formula One Grand Prix racing and the Indy 500. Jim¹s leading edge development work includes his company¹s R&D contracts with Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, John Deere, Harley-Davidson and aircraft companies such as Cessna, Mooney and Quickie. In 1988 he received the "Outstanding Technical Achievement Award" from the National Engineering Societies for his "clean sheet" design, development and manufacture of the 2.0L Oldsmobile "BE" Quad-4 racing engine used in the Oldsmobile Aerotech Research Vehicle (267.339 mph International Record, driven by A. J. Foyt). His radical design for the Oldsmobile BE 4-cylinder engine developed the highest specific power output of any automotive engine in history (over 1,270 hp from 121 cubic inches).

In addition to racing efforts, Jim also developed the engine for the American Honda high-mileage streamliner, capable of 500 MPG @ 55 mph, and developed the engine for the 2-place Q-2 aircraft, rated the world¹s most efficient. His internationally-recognized products include the 4-Valve cylinder head conversion for Harley-Davidson® Evolution motorcycles, his patented aluminum CENTERFIRE® cylinder heads for Chevrolet 454 and Ford 460 truck engines, the all new 'Fast-Burn' MAXFLOW® cylinder head kits, SuperPump and HP+ lifters for the Harley-Davidson Twin Cam engines and the awesome W3 Motorcycle. Jim is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, The American Chemical Society, the International Society for Optical Engineering and a Senior Member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers. He was elected a Fellow in the Institute of Advanced Engineering (IAE).He holds numerous international land speed records and is a member of the prestigious 300 MPH Chapter of the "Bonneville 200 MPH Club". The Feuling name has been closely associated with ultra-high efficiency, small-displacement engines, but he and his staff have years of experience with engines and powertrains of all sizes, from motorcycles to Indianapolis racing engines to hard-working big-rig diesels.

Jim is a consultant to a number of educational institutions. He also serves on the Board of Directors for the San Diego Automotive Museum and has served as a "Distinguished Speaker" in the SAE Industrial Lectureship Program. He is a very popular speaker and has made numerous presentations to SAE, ASME, IMA and SME. He has been a featured speaker at the Superflow Advanced Engine Technology Conference on four different occasions; beginning with the 1990 Superflow Advanced Engine Technology Conference on t

Old 11-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry to hear the news. Thanks for taking the time to post the info.