General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Starting...or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting...or not

Hey gang,

I've got an '09 FXD. It's all still bone stock. After riding far enough to get it warmed up good (10 miles or better usually), I can park, but if I try to start the bike back up within 5 minutes or less of parking it, it'll turn and turn but won't start until I let the fuel pump 'do its thing' once more then it fires right up.
I always let the fuel pump run (as per the owners manual that says to let the 'check diagnostics' light go out before starting the bike) before hitting the start button, whether the bike's cold or not. As far as I know, the motor's not overheating or it would have trouble on more than just the first try after parking.

Any ideas if this is 'not good' and should be covered by warranty or is it just normal? (It *is* embarrassing, I'll say that much. Sat in line at the gas station a couple weeks ago, and turned the motor off. When the line started to move, I had to do the 'try twice' thing to get it started. Guy at the pay window jokingly said he didn't think it'd start.)

Old 11-14-2008, 01:43 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 05 with a security system I always start it like this, Turn key to on, run switch off, wait for security to run diagnostics, after the security light goes out I flip the run switch to run and wait for the engine diagnostics to run and the fuel pump to prime, after the light goes out I hit the starter and it starts every time. I do this every time I start the bike, hot or cold. It might sound a little **** but it works for me plus it gives me time to get settled in and make sure I'm ready to ride.

Last edited by JohnK/Pa; 11-14-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm...so you're basically letting the engine diagnostics do it twice, along with letting the fuel pump prime twice. I'll give it a shot...can't hurt! Thanks for the tip!