General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

DIY Service at home - tips & tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil filter is on the return side. After passing through the filter it heads back into the oil bag. You really don't need a CORS system. If you put an oil pan under the filter fitting and run the motor, the oil will pump out into the pan. Keep checking and when you have clean oil coming out, you are done. It takes less than a minute to get all the old oil out. Replace the filter and go for a ride...

Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the CORS and Scavenger Oil Removal Systems are being talked about, I thought I'd share this email with you all.
I was asking about the oil flow in another thread, but nobody seemed to get what I was asking about. I was wondering if the oil went to the engine from the filer, or the oil tank, because I don't want my engine running without any oil being pumped to it.
Anyways, here's a copy of the email that I sent and what I got back:

Re: Scavenger Total Oil Removal System‏
Sent: October 22, 2008 2:03:32 PM
To: Bill (ngoti8tor@hotmail.com)

Bill,The cors system is a poor copy of my evo Scavenger, on the evo the oil goes through the oil filter last before it goes to the oil tank, on the twin cam the oil goes through the filter before it goes through the engine. Therefore if you use it on a twin cam, not only will you not get ANY oil out of the engine you will be running the engine with no oil pressure.
Thank You
Phil LaFleurphil@roguechopper.com
Box 518Accord, MA 02018
866-877-6483

Quoting Bill <ngoti8tor@hotmail.com>:
I'm considering purchasing the Scavenger Total Oil Removal System Part# RC120 and I was wondering how it's better than the CORS Oil Removal System.
Thanks

Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

AFter reading that, I stand corrected. I have never had a Twin Cam. What I stated was true for the Shovel and the Evo and I ASSUMED (Yeah, I know what assume means...) that it was the same for a TC.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 AM
nooster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that is quite a price difference for twin cam A the scavenger looks to run around twohundred and fourty with all the fittings. but i guess its cheaper than running the motor dry

Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 AM
moparbobby
Advanced

hey i dont meen to but in but if you follow the directions from rogue chopper for the scavenger on a twin cam . drain oil ,remove filter , GO TO THE BARGAN AUTO CENTER IN YOUR AREA AND BUY A CHEAP $3-$4 DOLLAR OIL FILTER ( PUROLATOR L10241 ) its only going to be used for about 60- 90 seconds. install cheap filter , fill oil tank, remove return line with a disconect tool (also from bargan auto center $3 ) slide hose over return line and route to a clear container emty plastic water bottle(free) run engine till oil runs clear 60 90 seconds about 1- 1 1/2 quart. shut off engine remove cheap filter and discard or drain and save for next service? REPLACE WITH A GENUINE H-D FILTER! reconnect oil line. and check oil level.
THIS WAY YOU WILL STILL FILTER THE OIL BEFORE IT GOES THROUGH YOUR ENGINE THE ROGOUE SCAVENGER DOES NOT !
AND IF YOU DONT WHANT TO USE A CHEAP FILTER FOR THIS 60- 90 SECOND A H-D FILTER IN BLACK IS ONLY ABOUT $10 . JUST LET IT DRIAN FROM SERVICE TO SERVICE !
THIS IS THE SAME THING BUT COST A LOT LESS
THE QUART OF SYN 3 YOU THROW OUT IS ABOUT $12.00