General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Garage Security Anchor

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage Security Anchor

I'll need a garage security anchor soon. Just wonder if anyone here has the H-D floor anchor. Are there other brands of the same thing? Thanks.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless your garage is empty, a floor anchor is completely useless. I have every tool needed to cut, saw, burn, weld or othewise defeat any anchor system and it's right there in the garage with the bike. Just a thought.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:43 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Wecroft
Unless your garage is empty, a floor anchor is completely useless. I have every tool needed to cut, saw, burn, weld or othewise defeat any anchor system and it's right there in the garage with the bike. Just a thought.
You're right, but the key (in my opinion) is to slow the thief down. So what (if anything) to you have to keep your bike secure?

Old 08-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at my garage in the Sig picture. Notice there's no windows or walk thru door. If they can't see in, they don't know if I'm home or not and the overheads are a hell of a lot tougher to jimmy than a passage door. Other than that, the bike is locked and security system armed even when parked inside the garage.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:16 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBlackFly
I'll need a garage security anchor soon. Just wonder if anyone here has the H-D floor anchor. Are there other brands of the same thing? Thanks.
When I built my shop I was going to do the same thing but changed my mind. All the doors are locked, bars on the windows, fenced back yard and we stagger park our cars in the driveway so a bike won't pass through. I'm sure anyone with that much ambition to steal this thing would pursue diamonds or art rather than an everyday Harley. If it disappears some night, I do have insurance. There's only so much you can do, or worry about.
Ron

Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Floor anchor inside a (locked?) garage? Man I'm steering clear of Idaho!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lights and alarms are not theives friends. Install alarm system. Cut out 6" x 6" square in floor. Use rock chisel to cut chamfer in concrete. Run two pieces of 9” to 12” rebar under floor. Run case hardened chain through rebar. Pull free end of chain up. Fill with high strength concrete. Inexpensive and strong.
Now when someone breaks into the garage the lights and alarm will have them thinking twice about cutting the chain to get the bike. As for tools and torches keep that stuff locked up. Take the torch off the tanks when not in use.

The more you can slow down the thief the more likely he is to move on to the next bike.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:47 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Lock it up tight, then they might just stick a rag in the gas tank and burn your whole house down.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 AM
kkrommm
Intermediate
Default ancor

Las Vegas here, when I bought my RK in 06, Vegas was #4 in MC thefts ( So I was told ) So I bought A Kriptonite anchor its about 5 in across and anchors 4 in in the concrete of your garage. the bolts have hex heads and come with ss ball bearings to pound into the bolt heads making it permenant. there is a rounded cover that screws over that that you can drive on. The hasp recesses into the cover when not in use. I bought a 30ft steel security cable 1/2 in in dia. and run it thru all of my bikes. i also use disk locks on them. It was a little hassle remembering Every time to lock up but now if I dont it really bothers me. The anchor is positioned 4 in from the side wall so it is out of the way. the peace of mind is great. The anchor was $70 and the cable about $20. They may still get My bikes but it is a lot harder now. J&p has these and other ancors avail.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 AM
JohnB445
Tourer
Default Garage door monitor

If the only way into your garage is the door. You may want to look into

a garage door monitor. It is a battery powered transmitter attached to the door.

It sends a signal any time the door is raised to a receiver inside your home.

Check Chamberlain Industries. Cost is about $40.00. They also make a unit that

plugs into a 110 outlet then turns on any device you want, when it receives a signal.

This could be a light beeper or what ever.

Quick Reply: Garage Security Anchor