General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Garage Security Anchor

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that we love our bikes and do not want to lose them, but I think that some of you are going overboard.

When I bought my Heritage back in 1997 bikes were in short supply. The MOCO only made about 100,000 a year and the Harley craze was in high gear. If you wanted a new bike you could:
1. Put down a deposit (sometimes non-refundable) to get on a waiting list. then wait about a year or so for your bike to arrive.
2. Pay a couple of thousand dollars over list if you could find a dealer who would sell one to you out of stock
3. Buy a bike off the showroom floor on which the dealer had already installed $3-4000 of his choice of extras.
4. Pay more for a used bike than a new one lists for.

In those days there were lots of reports that thieves would see a bike they want to steal, follow the rider home to see where he lived and later come back, break into the garage and steal the bike. There were also reports of gangs on bikes that would come up to a rider at a traffic light and surround the rider and at knifepoint or gunpoint force the rider off his bike and ride away with it. If the rider was lucky, they would only steal his bike and not injure or kill him.

I had put about $10,000 in extras and custom work into my Heritage and did not want to take any chances on loosing it.

I drilled a 2" hole, about 8" deep in my garage floor. I purchased an 8" hardened eye bolt and put a large washer and nut on the end and concreted it into the hole in the floor. I then used a hardened steel chain and a hardened lock and chained the front wheel to the eye bolt every time my bike was parked. Of course, I also locked the ignition each time as well. My garage was also alarmed.

Today, we have insurance and the dealers have lots of bikes for sale. Harley is building 300,000+ a year. The threat of bike theft is still real, but I do not think it is nearly as common as it was in the late 1990's.

I love my RKC, especially with the upgrades I have done. I have since moved to a new home. I do not have any floor anchors for my bike. I lock the ignition every time I park the bike. My garage doors are always closed. If my bike gets stolen, I will be totally pi--ed, but I know that I will recover most of the current value from my insurance company and will be able to buy a used bike or add some $$$ and get a new bike in a short period of time.

No matter what precautions you take, if a thief really wants your bike, they will eventually get it one way or another. You cannot be with your bike 24/7.

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 09-28-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:40 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,403 Likes on 8,422 Posts

Ain't that the truth Mr. Clean.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
motorpsyko22
Advanced
Talking

Dog door for free roam 110lb German Rott and a Kimber 1911. I use the "Door, Dog, Handgun rule" in my house. Key is in the left saddlebag for any takers............Good luck! LOL

Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

My story ‘
While at a bar looking out the window over the bikes (huge window)
A van pulled up and dumped my friends bike in it, it took about 5 guys to drag it in by the time we got to the door to chase them it was gone.

The steering head was locked & the front disc.

My bike was sitting beside his with the ignition un locked (I lost my key years ago)

And it was not locked it was also a lot nicer than my friends by about 10k

Like it was already said if a thief wants it they will try no matter what.

By the way where the hell do you guys live?

If it is that dangerous buy a gun!!!

Good luck keeping you bikes and don’t forget to insure it.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have room inside my 2 car garage, to park the Fat Boy, close to the left wall and still bring in my 2 other vehicles. Thieves would have to break into my garage and back my Jeep GC outside, before the bike had enough room to get out the door. I also have the alarm set on the Jeep.
Tom

Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 AM
sportncruise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by motorpsyko22
Dog door for free roam 110lb German Rott and a Kimber 1911. I use the "Door, Dog, Handgun rule" in my house. Key is in the left saddlebag for any takers............Good luck! LOL
My Ar15 with a few 30round clips out does your Rott and 1911.
If they really want it, killing you is even in the cards!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM
motorpsyko22
Advanced

Got two of those two....long rifle and close quarter. If someone comes in my house with an AR for my bike I guess it was meant to be........times are tough these days I guess for the AK or AR wielding Mujahadeen motorcycle thieves. Bottom line if they want the bike that bad I think I have more to worry about so the insurance payment is worth the money.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I decided to just lock the bike, lock the garage, and anchor the bike with a cable to one of the foundation bolts in the garage. I figure if someone wants the bike they'll get it.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul, Buddy of mine has two of those anchors in his Garage. He and his wife both lock the bikes to them with a logging chain anytime they are not on the bike. These folks live in a Condo, so the overhead is the only entrance, and there are no windows. As you know this area, they are in Northville, right next to the High School.

Would I install them? No..Thats why I have insurance. If they want it bad enough...they'll get it.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right. Don't get the impression I now live in a high-crime area, hardly the case. I left that in SE MI and moved to SE ID. Bike theft around here appears to be low on the agenda.

Quick Reply: Garage Security Anchor